Moving onto Chartered or Certified after LEVEL 3...

Options
Has anybody here had any experience of moving straight onto certificate level Chartered or onto Certified without going onto Level 4 AAT?

Any experiences or comments would be greatly appreciated.

AAT Level 3 :)

Comments

• south59
    south59 Registered Posts: 22
    Options
    Nope -

BUT

With level 4 you will be eligible for X amount of exemptions - dependant upon future chartered body.

I wouldn't give up on level 4. If you discover you hate the chartered training / exams / study, you'd still have level 4 in your drawer, or wall.

If you do not gain level 4, you will need to either complete F1/F2/F3 of ACCA, or the certificate papers of CIMA, before moving onto the juicer papers.

Seeing three papers of ACCA, vs 12 papers of AAT to get to the same place isn't quite as easy as it first appears.

Firstly ACCA, 'ain't easy.' I've not sat any exams with ACCA, but I have read their materials, together with aged exams. Study texts are twice as long, at best - three times at worst. Look at P6.....

50% pass mark vs 70% again isn't an easy 50% mark.

After all that, you'll probably looking at ICAEW lol.

Best of luck which ever way you go.

My vote - see out level 4.
  • amy256
    amy256 Registered Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! Definitely need to have a serious think :)
  • BU982T
    BU982T Registered Posts: 40
    Options
    I've considered the same thing to be honest. But I've decided to just stick with it because I've put in a lot of time so far and once I'm done I'll have something to show for it. It's a very long journey with ACCA for example and besides, the AAT qualification is pretty good and it could potentially land me a decent job out there which may be trickier at the early stages with ACCA.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong!
  • amy256
    amy256 Registered Posts: 32
    Options

I am already within a firm with plenty of potential within it to progress to where I want to be over the years so on the job front it's not an issue for me at all.

I have put a lot of time into AAT but I am struggling to see the benefits (besides having the letters after my name which don't really matter to me anyway as I'm in the right job). Some of the optional modules I would need to complete at Level 4 to get me maximum exemptions moving forward do not relate to what I do within my job in the slightest. I know there will be subjects like this within Chartered that do not relate much however. I have also heard that my college (alongside many others) are not teaching the Business and Personal Tax modules which I will need as I use them heavily in my job. So moving onto Chartered where I will get the correct teaching as far as Taxation modules go etc seems more the right thing to do...

Hmm..
  • BU982T
    BU982T Registered Posts: 40
    Options
    I think this is a question you should probably seek advice from your employer.

If you switch to the ACCA, it will essentially be like starting over from scratch as the first three papers is essentially the AAT qualification. I suppose something worth considering is how long you'll take to complete Level 4 vs. completing F1-F3. From what I've heard, ACCA exams are considered to be a lot more difficult so having three less ACCA exams to do would be a good thing.

If PTAX and BTAX aren't provided by your college then self-study may be an option (it's also a lot cheaper as well).

That being said, if I was in your situation I would go with the option I'd finish quicker (Level 4 vs F1-F3). Unfortunately, the role I'm in isn't ideal for ACCA so I need to finish Level 4 before starting ACCA as I hope having AAT next to my name is going to be worth something and help me find a more suitable role.
  • south59
    south59 Registered Posts: 22
    Options
    If I were you, I'd finish what I'd started. Upon completing level 4, you will be qualified. Some jobs require you to hold, and maintain membership of a body - this may or may not be relevant to yourself.

Should your current job end, or you decide to leave, you will be, after level 4, both qualified, and have the golden egg of experience under your belt.

Definitely continue building your knowledge after completing the AAT syllabus - masses of plus points in that!

The trouble with being young, is having lack of patience -

I'd hazard a guess that I'm at least ten years older than you, so take it from me that there is no rush. Rush too much, and you'll get found out, in holes you profess aren't there in your knowledge.

Anyhow, that's enough from me for this thread. You'll make your own decision. Which ever way you go - Good luck!!
Privacy Policy