Thinking of commencing study at 53 years of age

jps
jps Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
Hi everyone, Me Old, looking to start AAT - Skills check says Level 2 start or "Go To The Dark Side - ATT". Current situation - unemployed left last job late last year - after a diffcult time andd long tenure (8 years) - registered with loads of agencies. Very little being presented to me. I would welcome the the thoughts from "mature late starters on here" and from those with plenty of experience whatever age. How difficult is AAT Level 2? How quickly can you progress from a learning point of view? Distance or Class Based Learning? And those who undertook ATT after - what was that like? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Hi @jps

I started studying AAT at college in my early 40's and a few students were in their 40's, 50's and 60's. So it is definitely a qualification open to more mature students.
    Most of them were either already working in accounts or helping their partners with bookkeeping in their business.
    May I ask what is your previous experience and what you expect to achieve in terms of career? AAT will give you a sound grounding in bookkeeping and accounts, ATT is more geared towards tax compliance.

Hope this helps.
  • jps
    jps Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Hi @MarieNoelle,

Thanks for the response. it's always good to get a response, even though I know the "age based learning" type of thread has been asked and covered numerous times on here over the years.

As you ask, my experience was until the end of last year - just processing payments and receipts and generic admin - and some sales ledger generation mainly on Sage 200 - customer contact, and just doing my job. (I have used Oracle but don't like it all - too convoluted in my opinion).

I have no real experience of book-keeping per se, but feel with the trend of CPD being mentioned so often - online, at agencies and by people I know - I thought it was about time to start. I feel now I just need something more solid to build on to allow me to increase my earning potential (and I know now it won't increase massively over the next few years).

I thought by being a dedicated employee I would be "noticed" - not to be - too many places still operate a "clique attitude"- and also (I feel) prefer cheaper staff (in private and public sector I see no real difference - although Public Sector is probably more flexible in attitude toward assisted learning and seeing staff improve) and will tolerate greater staff turnover. If I were an employer I would be more than happy to say to my staff - don't be afraid of wanting to move and improve. I still think in this country we have an attitude to getting into "comfort zones" (especially at work) and then complain when our situations don't improve.

I have experience in lots of different businesses, but always commit the same mistake of being to generous in making sure the job is done to my "exacting standards" and relying on the management to come along and say - "you are worth much more than this - why don't we move you to do this/this/ or maybe this). It's easier for some managers to keep people in place and not move because it suits the managers own objectives.

I am still waiting for information from ATT - even though I know I can get it online. I am old school - "dusty ledgers, candle light & quill pens" I don't currently have broadband at my house - so am reliant on my local library (YES there is still one open where I live). And until I can get another job I will have to wait to make a decision.
Privacy Policy