Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion

How much work experience is needed to apply for MAAT status

The website is very confusing as to how much work experience is needed to apply for MAAT status.
I have changed my career into accounting (6 months ago), I have passed all exams and am now ready to apply for MAAT status but am confused to actually how much is needed. The reason I am asking this question is that a colleague who is doing the same job as I am (Accounts Clerk) became a full member in 2012 and I need some more help and advice on this matter please. The technical competency I am looking at is the financial accounting but this mentions preparing the trial balance and financial statements, which no one in this office does anyway. Does this mean that I can't apply to become a full member?

Answers

• KoopaCooperKoopaCooper London, UKMAAT, AATQB Posts: 227
    I'm currently still finishing off my level 4 AAT, but I believe that the absolute minimum requirement for MAAT status is meeting certain competencies (which you mentioned), plus at least 2 years' verifiable work history in the field.

Good luck! :)
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • mike150185mike150185 KentRegistered Posts: 41
    I've been in my current role for 6 months and I've met the work experience requirements (apparently). According to the website, all I need to is nominate a referee, complete the declaration and pay membership feed (as well as pass the remaining exams). Could you link me to where it says you need 2 years work history?
  • KoopaCooperKoopaCooper London, UKMAAT, AATQB Posts: 227
    I've reread the rules, Mike, and you're quite right - I think when my tutor originally told me about the requirements for MAAT, I misunderstood him.

What it really is, is that you must satisfy the work-based competences, have relevant work experience, a professional referee who has been your senior for at least 6 MONTHS (there's the minimum timeframe requirement), and have passed the qualification (which was the typical 2 year timeframe that my tutor mentioned).

...hey, so this means that having already worked in my new job for 4 months, I've almost met the professional reference requirement (and work experience too maybe) already! Good news! :)
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020