Should I become MAAT?

Options
amanda rayner
amanda rayner Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
Hi all, I finally completed the level 4 AAT exams last November after several years of independent study - very proud of myself! I am now unsure as to whether to continue to full membership. I have just changed job and it was not a problem that I'm not MAAT. The sensible part of me feels I should continue but it's quite a lot of money and I'm not sure how beneficial it is. I have a few friends with the AAT qualification and it is a 50/50 split between those who keep their qualification up to date (which I understand) and those that decided it wasn't necessary. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• David Ballantyne
    David Ballantyne Registered Posts: 105 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi Amanda,

Next time you are looking for a job, imagine the following scenario:

You are still an AAT affiliate, never having applied for full membership despite having enough experience to do so. You've applied for a job you really want. You got to the interview stage and you have impressed the interviewing employer.

It just so happens that there is another candidate who has also impressed the interviewer. This individual has exactly the same range of experience as you and would be an equally good fit into the employer's accounting team. This person has MAAT status, having had their experience verified and can provide evidence of ongoing CPD.

The employer has to make a choice.

The choice is between the candidate with no verified experience and no evidence of ongoing CPD, or the candidate with verified experience and evidence of ongoing CPD.

Which would you choose?

Also, note the difference in the mean salary between AAT affiliates and MAATs on page 3 of the AAT salary survey here:
    https://www.aat.org.uk/sites/default/files/assets/AAT-salary-survey-2015.pdf

Kind regards,

David.
    David Ballantyne
    Connect with me on LinkedIn!
    Ballantyne Accountants
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    Options

The choice is between the candidate with no verified experience and no evidence of ongoing CPD, or the candidate with verified experience and evidence of ongoing CPD.

Which would you choose?

Also, note the difference in the mean salary between AAT affiliates and MAATs on page 3 of the AAT salary survey here:
    https://www.aat.org.uk/sites/default/files/assets/AAT-salary-survey-2015.pdf

Kind regards,

David.

These are excellent points - I will be at the same point in a few months once I finish level 4, and I was just contemplating the same thing, not taking up affiliate (and when I've worked for long enough, full) membership.

This is exactly the reasoning I had for why I should carry it on though - the letters show a verifiable work history and an continual commitment to the field.

(I'm also considering taking up MIAB membership until I reach the 2yr mark at work and can become MAAT, as I think it may give me more professional credibility with some of my clients if I have professional standing and letters after my name...maybe)
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    The proof of commitment to CPD is so important to most employers. Being a member gives you access to many CPD and networking opportunities.

Membership also shows that you support the future of AAT. As AAT is principally a professional body run by its members for its members, if no one joined there would be no AAT.
Privacy Policy