Payroll qualifications

Options
Being a payroll administrator, I heard you don't need much qualifications, just basic IT and office skills.
I haven't done CIPP or AAT anything similar, but I have paid over £500 for a Sage 50 Payroll course, Level 1 and 2.
Is this enough, I only want to be a payroll administrator, and work in companies that use just Sage.

I haven't had many job replies, I have had one offer which they didn't want to get back to me. And some of them unsuccessful.
I have only done Sage 50 payroll level 1 & 2. I haven't had any work experience in this field.

Comments

• kelsmick
    kelsmick Registered Posts: 89
    Options
    It depends on what the company requires you to do. I have done payroll admin where all you are required to do is to input the hours into a spreadsheet and then the rest is done by someone else, generally if you are doing the admin side you are only checking time sheets etc rather than running the payroll and doing payments.

What is the reason behind only wanting to use sage? I think you are being a little picky with only wanting to work with companies that use sage, especially if you've no experience. I've worked with several companies doing payroll and not many of them use sage 50 and the ones that do want people with a few years worth of experience. It might be worth not limiting yourself to only wanting to use sage.

When you are applying for jobs are you only applying for the ones that state they use sage? Or have you mentioned in your CV / Covering letter that you only want to work with sage? As this could be the reason for your lack of replies.

It would also depends on the job market of where you live. Currently in my city the job market is not good, there are often more than 200 + people applying for the same job and unfortunately experience wins over qualifications so this could be another reason as to why you've not been getting much replies.
    www.essencebookkeeping.co.uk
  • amrina1994
    amrina1994 Registered Posts: 5
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Yeh I'm in London, very hard to get a job here. And no, I didn't say in my CV, I only want to work with companies that use Sage. But because I done Sage 50 Payroll that is the only reason I need to apply for companies that use Sage.

By the way I haven't worked in Payroll before, maybe thats why I'm not getting much replies, they mostly need work experience.

What did you study to work in Payroll Admin?

When I was doing my Sage 50 Payroll course, I didn't do any time sheets like you said, all I done was use the software to create records , process pay etc. I just used the software thats it.

I'm also worried the software is quite hard and even though I passed the exams, still going to have to go over it again.
    I didn't do any AAT or CIPP qualifications, I just bought a Sage 50 Payroll level 1 & 2 course because I thought that's enough even Reed mentioned this. It's not necessary requirement but you may need some qualifications related.
  • amrina1994
    Options
    @ BeccaLouJ9

Because I have only done Sage 50 as a Payroll qualification, that means I most likely will have to apply for jobs that use Sage 50 as their software because I have no experience in any other software companies might have. Yeah I might as well add more software skills.
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options

Is this enough, I only want to be a payroll administrator, and work in companies that use just Sage.

How about mentioning that you are open to learning about other payroll software? I think just limiting yourself to SAGE could be your problem.

B
  • amrina1994
    Options
    null
    Yeah I'll definitely say that I'm open to learning more software
Privacy Policy