Home AAT Global AAT Global member discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

CIMA or ACCA?

alinyL33alinyL33 BotswanaRegistered Posts: 1
Which one is the best to study? I have a AAT Diploma certificate so i want to proceed to another level

Comments

• CeeJaySixCeeJaySix Well-Known Registered Posts: 645
    Hi Aliny,

Have a search of the forum, this has been covered quite a lot.

In a nutshell, CIMA is more management accounting focussed, though there is nothing to stop you working in management accounting roles with ACCA (many do). However if you want to work in practice ACCA is far more suitable. Both qualifications are at the same level, it just depends on where you are now and where you see your career going.
    alinyL33
  • stevesmithsstevesmiths Registered Posts: 25
    CIMA covers more management accounting, business strategy and financial strategy than the ACCA syllabus. CIMA qualified accountants incline to lean towards onward thinking and strategy based roles, which is appropriate for business and industry.
    In contrast with CIMA, ACCA is more attentive on financial accounting and it is more technical. It is generally thought that ACCA gives you a stronger foundation in accounting principles than CIMA. ACCA offers the certification in chartered accountancy and it is most recognised in the commonwealth countries.
  • David BallantyneDavid Ballantyne DurhamRegistered Posts: 112
    The essential difference in the syllabus is that CIMA does not cover tax or external audit to the same depth as ACCA. This is because the CIMA qualification is focused on producing accountants who work within non-practice organisations that are large enough to employ their own internal accountants. The broad focus of the qualification is on producing internal information for decision making within an organisation.
    David Ballantyne
    Connect with me on LinkedIn!
    Ballantyne Accountants
    rakeshsuwal