Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Setting up a new business

I wonder if anyone can help.... I am looking at setting up a business doing book keeping plus final accounts/tax returns for sole traders, I wouldn't want to do LTD accounts just yet.
I know I need to get my licence sorted and PI insurance. Can anyone recommend a company for the insurance and a rough idea of costs? It would be appreciated. Is there anything else I need to do?
Also, I currently work for a higher education establishment so have no idea of what to charge for such services, where do I start with this?

Thanks in advance!


  • NeillawNeillaw New Member RossendaleMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 265
    AAT have a PI provider (Trafalgar) - I think there is a link on the website.
    Charges - first place to review is Burg's charges analysis which can be found at the top of these threads.
  • HeselwoodHeselwood Registered Posts: 6
    Thanks Neil, I'll take another look when I don't have the toddler demanding attention.
  • burgburg Experienced Mentor GloucesterModerator, FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,441
    I have my PII via Policybee. Fee's survey is here - https://forums.aat.org.uk/discussion/442656/mip-fees-survey-2016#latest

  • HeselwoodHeselwood Registered Posts: 6
    Thanks Burg, I'll take a look at Policybee. The survey is interesting reading.
Sign In or Register to comment.