avoid breach of data

burgburg Experienced MentorGloucesterModerator, FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,336
An employee of a former client has contacted us about sending a P60 and some payslips.

We have no contact with the former client but can attempt to contact them however I want to know our position.

I don't want to be awkward as it's not my way however I'm conscious of not breaching any data protection rules as we have no idea this person is hwo they say they are. Would you provide them? I'm inclined to say we can only provide them to his former employer as that is who engaged us. However this does not help them greatly if the employer will not pass them on (currently has a dispute with them).



  • MarieNoelleMarieNoelle Trusted Regular Hampshire/Surrey borderModerator, MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,147
    Has the employee ever received them from the employer? My instinct would tell me to stay clear as this is obviously a dispute between two parties you do not have any dealings with anymore. Maybe you could suggest the employee contacts ACAS for how to proceed?
  • mrme89mrme89 Banned User Posts: 621
    Your contract was not with this employee.

    Your contract was with your former client.

    You are not in a position to hand over the payslip to the individual.

    I would tell the employee that your former client has the records, and they should seek a copy from them.

    I know it's harsh and goes against how helpful most people are, but it beats fighting off claims.
  • mrme89mrme89 Banned User Posts: 621
    To add, if the employee told you that they wanted the copies because they were brining an unfair dismissal claim, you'd run a mile. Be careful of what you don't know!
  • JawzJawz New Member West MidlandsRegistered Posts: 53
    Hello Sir, I will second the above. Contract was with the employer, therefore you must have their written consent before disclosing information to a third party.


  • NeillawNeillaw New Member RossendaleMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 196
    Tell them to ring the revenue to obtain a copy of their P60
Sign In or Register to comment.