Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

CGT and Foreign Exchange

DawnyDawny Settling In NicelyMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 60
My client has been benefiting from the USD movements in exchange rate over the past year.

Shares held in an American company were sold in USD and the capital gains tax calculated in 2014/15. The profit from the sale is being received monthly over a 5 year period and because of the exchange rate movement, the monthly payments are going up.

Do we need to declare this gain to the HMRC?

Thank you!


  • MarieNoelleMarieNoelle Trusted Regular Hampshire/Surrey borderModerator, MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,431
    Hi @Dawny
    Foreign currency bank accounts are exempt assets for individuals from 6th April 2012.
    See TCGA 1992 s252
Sign In or Register to comment.