Should I finish Level 3 or jump to CIMA/ACCA

Poppy_dd
Poppy_dd Registered Posts: 12
Hi,

A bit of background. I have a degree in finance and banking and am currently doing AAT Level 3. I have two exams left to complete this level - costs and revenues and ethics. I plan to complete my AAT qualification summer next year.

I was talking to someone and he mentioned that as I already have a degree, I should have jumped into ACCA/CIMA instead of doing AAT. So I have been thinking with all time and costs involved, should I now just get right into ACCA/CIMA without completing my AAT? As I will most likely complete AAT in a year anyway (if things go as plan), would it make any difference?

I am so torn, any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• kimbo86
    kimbo86 Registered Posts: 10
    Have you talked to both CIMA and ACCA about exemptions? You should probably compare the exemptions you would get with your degree with the exemptions you would get with full AAT. If there's not much in it then I suppose it's more of a financial/personal decision. If it was me then having come that far I would probably finish AAT as I reckon having a full qualification would be more valuable than ending at level 3. Are you working in accountancy at the moment?
  • ncraggs
    ncraggs Registered, Tutor Posts: 70 New contributor 🐸
    I did ACA, which is comparable to ACCA and CIMA in terms of difficulty.. I honestly don’t think I would have passed that if I hadn’t of done AAT level 4. These exams are hard enough as they are, so you want to give yourself every advantage that you can if possible. There is a big jump between level 3 and level 4, so imagine the jump between level 3 and level 5, which is what ACCA/CIMA would be.
    AAT Distance Learning Director First Intuition www.fi.co.uk
  • Poppy_dd
    Poppy_dd Registered Posts: 12
    kimbo86 said:

Have you talked to both CIMA and ACCA about exemptions? You should probably compare the exemptions you would get with your degree with the exemptions you would get with full AAT. If there's not much in it then I suppose it's more of a financial/personal decision. If it was me then having come that far I would probably finish AAT as I reckon having a full qualification would be more valuable than ending at level 3. Are you working in accountancy at the moment?

I did my degree abroad so I would only get exception to one exam. And Yes, I have been working in accountancy for about 2 years now.
Privacy Policy