Distinction, Make you stand out or stop you from falling behind?

Options
I am studying level 3 and wondered if anybody knew the percentage of students that are getting the different grades.
I should get a distinction overall but I am wondering if it will make me stand out or simply stop me from falling behind.

Comments

• JoJoMis
    JoJoMis Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I would like to know the same thing. I feel like I keep beating myself up everytime I get 89% on as assessment but to be honest I have no idea if anyone but me even cares.
  • Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    Options
    My view on it is had I been studying AQ2013 I'd never have known my percentage so as long as I pass who cares?

Only the top 5-10% of businesses are really going to care who has pass/merit/distinction when they have 500 applicants they have to differentiate between. That's all the grading is - another statistic for employers to use to judge whether you're a worthy applicant.

Don't beat yourself up over it.
  • CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    Options
    I agree with @Irrorate, i believe its more of a personal thing. I did Lvl 3 under AQ2013 and my personal objective was to try and get exceeded on every question i could. This has dropped to trying to get a Merit in Lvl 4 as i want to push myself without beating myself up for getting a question wrong or just not picking the marks up fully. At the end of it, pass or distinction, you become MAAT.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • chris_nuttall
    chris_nuttall Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    I think that the grading will only take effect in the real world in at least 5 years. At the minute if you ask anybody what level they did it will be level, 2, 3 or 4 depending on what they achieved and not many people outside currently studying or are close to someone who is studying the 2016 standards know about the different headings. Presuming AAT continue with the grading system it will take that many years for enough people to study and the conversation will be "i passed level 3 and got distinction," or "I did it in 2017 and got a pass because the synoptic was dreadful"
  • Multiplicator
    Multiplicator Registered Posts: 116
    Options
    // Presuming AAT continue with the grading system it will take that many years for enough people to study and the conversation will be "i passed level 3 and got distinction," or "I did it in 2017 and got a pass because the synoptic was dreadful"//

chris there are well known mechanisms to stop this happening
    ( even tho the Welsh Minister for O levels didnt seemt o know about it)
    exam setters such as AAT should
    the exam should assess knowledge ( preferably on a set course hem hem)
    it should have lack of observer variabliity - two examiners should assess the same candidates in roughly the same way
    and lack of interpersonal variability - one year should not differ wildly from a previous one ( which seems to have happened here) and the results for one person shouldnt vary wildly ( which HAS happened here
    and yes I think AAT needs to look at what it did, and draw conclusions
    I am quite ready to complain to the exam regulator who should exist but I cant find out who it is.

Level 3 can be used for university entrance and the bad news is that there are special procedures ( they say - I am 65 y o ) for events such as this summer's - which means It Has All Happened Before ( to someone else)
Privacy Policy