Should AAT Scrap or rethink the Synoptic Assessments.

clees
clees Registered Posts: 33
Simple question really.
Do you think the AAT should scrap the Synoptic and revert back to how the 2013 standards were tested, where you sit your module exams and that's that.
OR
Rethink the synoptic mainly spreadsheets and make it fairer, easier to understand and ask questions and give takes you would face in the real world without constraints on the method.
OR
Do you think they should be kept as they are.

Should AAT Scrap or rethink the Synoptic Assessments. 22 votes

Scrap
27%
butters1tinkerbell0406sky10Kc1mckenna0503DanRhys 6 votes
Re-Think
72%
cleesAlisonSwansonAbbyCarrstudentsalma1011CSan89annvboysElladaMashalKhanjaneWMultiplicatorjchayneschris_nuttallJaneMarieammw90Sheldz93 16 votes
Keep The Same
0%

Comments

• AlisonSwanson
    AlisonSwanson Registered, Tutor Posts: 209
    Re-Think
    The AAT cannot scrap the Synoptic tests. They are a requirement of the new apprenticeship standards which are not set by the AAT. However, I thoroughly agree that the Level 3 and 4 Synoptic tests definitely need a rethink - especially the Spreadsheet section.
  • clees
    Re-Think

The AAT cannot scrap the Synoptic tests. They are a requirement of the new apprenticeship standards which are not set by the AAT. However, I thoroughly agree that the Level 3 and 4 Synoptic tests definitely need a rethink - especially the Spreadsheet section.

Not sure where that information is from but if its true why do they make non apprentices do them and why have I not seen any other apprentices with this requirement?
  • Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    clees said:

Not sure where that information is from but if its true why do they make non apprentices do them and why have I not seen any other apprentices with this requirement?
    Probably because AAT want to create a standardised set of exams - making apprentices do them but non-apprentices not do them is going to skew things.
  • clees
    Re-Think
    AlisonSwan was right, just read up on this online.

although the Government website suggests a Portfolio as being the most effect way to demonstrate the required knowledge AAT have opted for a test. :angry:

from the standards booklet.
    https://gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/539995/Professional_Accounting_Taxation_Assessment_Plan.pdf
    "A Role Simulation is the second form of End-point Assessment to evaluate the Apprentice’s competency in a broader context, beyond the potential scope of their role. The Role Simulation will assess the Apprentice’s ability to analyse and respond to a typical set of issues faced by an organisation, drawing upon all aspects of their Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours. We anticipate the Role Simulation will enhance the credibility of the Apprentice’s competency."

I am 100% certain the synoptic in its current form does not do this!!!
  • AlisonSwanson
    AlisonSwanson Registered, Tutor Posts: 209
    Re-Think
    > @clees said:
    > AlisonSwan was right, just read up on this online.
    >
    > although the Government website suggests a Portfolio as being the most effect way to demonstrate the required knowledge AAT have opted for a test. :angry:
    >

No this is not correct at all. The new apprenticeship standards require both a Synoptic test AND a portfolio. Trust me it takes a lot longer than half an hour to get to grips with it all!

Anyhow irrespective of this, I agree the Level 3 Synoptic needs to be simplified and far less time pressured than it is in its current form.
  • Multiplicator
    Multiplicator Registered Posts: 116
    Re-Think
    // The AAT cannot scrap the Synoptic tests. They are a requirement of the new apprenticeship standards which are not set by the AAT. //

thank you - great - set by whom ? I really feel they (the setters, requirers) really need to know what is being done in their name and to review how it is being done - and you know what ? I am the one to tell them

I thought there must be an exam regulator - and you know they have to know what is going on. - and I am not saying you tell them - I will !

Alison - can you tell me what your colleges success rates are for level 3 this year ?
    Brighton ( Dahlia ) seem to be around 10-15% - 7 out of 70
    St Johns Manchester - we cant find anyone who has passed.

Did anyone get the latest patronising email from AAT ?
    " what can you expect and how much do you...."
    I can tell you - level 4 - a few thousand out of pocket and the last exam designed to fail
    Great deal for someone

Spreadsheet failers - I have to say I am getting really demotivated by this - but anyway.
    "Excel is fun" I like on You tube - and ...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsDFonVtKGM
    is a longish lecture on spreadsheets and accounting that the fella gave a few days ago.
    It is NOT tied to level 3 - but even in level 3 the thought must cross your mind - "why dont I learn something really useful?" - and you will find it here

• JaneMarie
    JaneMarie Registered Posts: 6
    Re-Think
    The biggest part of the rethink is to make the module deliverable by the tutors, it is impossible (and that's from a students point of view). I believe from other posts some tutors didn't even attempt to. Stop setting obscure scenarios when there are enough sensible and relevant ones.

The volume of internal control information for level 4 is too much to absorb and a complete head mess if you do not actually work in an accounting environment. (Guess that's where the apprenticeship vs no experience comes in) - Not fair.

Analysis and report writing are not skills you can learn overnight it takes time and lots of practice, the syllabus nor the books cover this. Maybe this could be introduced at level 2, progressed in level 3 and perfected at level 4. Could be why so many are failing the written tasks.

Privacy Policy