AAT - where and how to begin?

Options
bcurtis92
bcurtis92 Registered Posts: 1
edited September 2017 in General discussion
Hi guys,

First post here, thanks for having me.

So I've been thinking about starting AAT for sometime now and am now ready to take the plunge. I have been in an invoicing role for 18 months or so now but work are looking for me to progress in order to assist our two accountants. While I am very competent with figures and maths, my current role is pretty much admin-related so I have little actual accounting experience beyond subtotals, VAT and that basic sort of stuff.

Do you think I should definitely start at Level 2, or is jumping in at Level 3 an option?

As I work full-time I think distance learning is the only viable option for me. Work have nicely offered to fund this, so as it's being paid for do you think I should go with a provider or just learn from a book and book exams separately as I have seen suggested on various forums?

If a provider, which would you recommend most?

Thanks again and I welcome all responses.

Brett

Comments

• ChrisJ30
    ChrisJ30 Registered Posts: 93 New contributor 🐸
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Congrats on your work funding your studies - not all work places will :)

I would personally start at level 2 since this is the foundation of 3 and 4.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

If you have no double entry knowledge, you'd be advised to start at level 2. However, a previous colleague had no double entry knowledge and she worked through a level 2 book and then started at level 3. Another option may be to do the level 2 book-keeping certificate (which is basically the book-keeping modules from the level 2 accounting certificate) and then go to level 3 in accounting - this would save some time.
Privacy Policy