Struggling with Accounts Prep jobs

Options
Hello all,

I'm currently studying AAT level 4 alongside my job at a small family-run firm in a village in Nottinghamshire.

For the most part, I enjoy my job. Our clients are mostly German speaking which is great for me as a graduate of German and Politics. I really enjoy working in VAT and have enjoyed working in personal tax before as well. I like the personal intimate atmosphere that comes with working in a small firm.

However, there's one aspect of my job that I don't enjoy at all - accounts preparation. It's hard to explain why, but I just don't enjoy it in the slightest. I sometimes feel expected to understand it all after one explanation, and when I struggle to do so, my colleague always attributes this to me overcomplicating it in my mind. There's some truth in that no doubt, but as I'm sure you can appreciate, the surrounding concepts and ideas aren't easy, and it annoys me when they are described as such.

I do try when I do these jobs, but my heart just isn't really in it, and it's hard to manufacture enthusiasm for something that I find immensely frustrating and occasionally demoralising.

Anyone been in a similar situation? As I said, I love my job apart from one aspect of it.

Comments

• Clintm15
    Clintm15 Registered Posts: 248 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    You don't enjoy accounts preparation? Maybe you're in the wrong field.
    AAT
    Level 2 - 2011
    Level 3 - 2012
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA
    F4 - Corporate Law - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F5 - Performance Management - Dec 2014 (passed)
    F6 - Taxation - Dec 2013 (passed)
    F7 - Financial Reporting - Jun 2014 (passed)
    F8 - Audit & Assurance - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F9 - Financial Management - Jun 2015 (passed)
  • BlueJeans
    BlueJeans Registered Posts: 56
    Options
    > @Clintm15 said:
    > You don't enjoy accounts preparation? Maybe you're in the wrong field.

That's a bit harsh. There might be very few people out there who enjoy 100% of the work they do.
    Believe you can and you're halfway there...
  • CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    Options
    I found it hard at first because the way you learn it with AAT is quite different to how you do it in practice. However, I have found it best to complete them methodically. It then becomes easier with each client you complete as you are completing them in the same way.
    I will admit that there are some clients accounts that are a pain in the a** to complete but I think that it would be the same if I was a chartered accountant.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • Clintm15
    Clintm15 Registered Posts: 248 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    BlueJeans said:

> @Clintm15 said:

> You don't enjoy accounts preparation? Maybe you're in the wrong field.

That's a bit harsh. There might be very few people out there who enjoy 100% of the work they do.

I'm just being honest. Better somebody considers seriously now, before they are too far down the rabbit hole.
    AAT
    Level 2 - 2011
    Level 3 - 2012
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA
    F4 - Corporate Law - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F5 - Performance Management - Dec 2014 (passed)
    F6 - Taxation - Dec 2013 (passed)
    F7 - Financial Reporting - Jun 2014 (passed)
    F8 - Audit & Assurance - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F9 - Financial Management - Jun 2015 (passed)
Privacy Policy