Advice ?

Options
josh50
josh50 Registered Posts: 1
Hi there,

I'm looking to get some advice from some people working in this industry.

A little background info, I did an accounting technician course which led me to get the job that I'm in now. I work in a practice and my employer pays for my tuition to become chartered. My employer only hires students which in the beginning I thought was weird because I couldn't understand how someone who is only learning could produce acceptable work. The job was advertised as no experience required so going into it I suppose I imagined I'd be working alongside a qualified accountant doing certain aspects of jobs with supervision and support. I came into difficulties as I was just landed with jobs with little to zero guidance and expected to complete them to the same standard as my boss would. The whole experience was very much like a blind man with a stick, a lot of it was guess work, trying to meet deadlines, no method so to speak of, it was all very overwhelming, which in turn resulted in substandard work. Any help I sought from my boss was met with impatience, backhanded comments, rolling of the eyes and disrespect. Any time an issue arose it was a case of why is this only discovered now, why was this not resolved earlier, why am I not learning, why am I focusing on the wrong stuff, etc. etc. Just very counterproductive and intimidating questions that I didn't really have an answer for. I regret not leaving and seeking out a more suitable mentor (or maybe it's the same everywhere, I don't know). Being the sole qualified accountant in the office and having to run the business he had minimal time for me and I felt like I wasn't being trained properly.

Anyway, fast forward a couple of years, I'm confident in my work and actually feel like I know what I'm doing for the most part but I am still a student and I still don't know everything. I still have a couple of years to go until I qualify and a lot more experience to gain. The issue with my employer, although not as painful as in the beginning, still persists. There was talk of implementing some procedures to help me improve my work ethic but they never came to fruition.

I suppose what I'm trying to get out of this post is, has anyone else had such a difficult experience when they started training?
My biggest problem really is just his attitude towards me, I hate saying it but I feel like he's a bully. I actually do so much work and make the company so much money and yet he'll still manage to only pick out my shortfalls and try to humiliate me in front of my colleagues instead of offering me support and trying to help, I mean after all we're supposed to be on the same team so I just don't get it!

So, in conclusion, I really want to leave this office. It's really starting to take a toll on my wellbeing, I've just recently been diagnosed with a medical condition which if it doesn't get better could turn into cancer and the stress he causes me doesn't help it at all. Should I suck it up for another couple of years as he pays for my college and get my qualification? Or should I look for another firm? I am in a contract at the moment which could make things a little more difficult but I have seen other people transfer contracts. I do want to continue in this field as I am passing my exams and I like the work, but I just think I'm in the wrong place and at this stage I harbour so much resentment for my work of place.

Apologies for the long post. I'd appreciate some advice from someone who isn't my family or friends who don't have any correlation with this kind of work.

Many thanks

Comments

• thefuture
    thefuture Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Josh, the only advice that is going to be of any use to you is, man up!

You have 3 choices.

1. Carry on with the status quo
    2. The next time your boss is disrespectful, explain in a firm but respectful manner that you are a learning employee and in order for work to be completed at an acceptable standard, there will be times when help is needed.
    3. Find a new job, there are plenty out there for top candidates.
  • David Ballantyne
    David Ballantyne Registered Posts: 105 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    You have a poor quality manager. Your manager should be supportive and respectful and should value the contribution you make. This is the only way to have motivated and committed team members. Yes, you are right, there is no question that your manager is a bully.

Unfortunately, in my experience, this sort of situation is all too common. Fortunately, not all managers are like this. The only advice I can give you is to look for another role.

You should investigate the feasibility of moving to another employer offering a training contract. Never having worked in practice, I don't know the appropriate way of doing this. Do you need to do this through your professional body or is it just a case of registering with agencies and applying for jobs with contracts?

Above all do not stay stuck and suffer. Investigate your options, make a choice and action that choice.
    David Ballantyne
    Connect with me on LinkedIn!
    Ballantyne Accountants
Privacy Policy