Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Undeclared Foreign Income

cobblescobbles Settling In NicelyNorth London WhetstoneRegistered Posts: 30
Hello All

Looking for advice ...

New client with rental property income (Switzerland) which they have never disclosed on their personal tax return falls under the double taxation treaty

Question - should I write to HMRC to amend the previous tax returns? or just included for tax year 2016_17.



  • MarieNoelleMarieNoelle Trusted Regular Hampshire/Surrey borderModerator, MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,431
    How long has the client been letting the property?
    Have you assessed whether there was a tax liability (the double tax treaty should clarify how tax relief can be obtained).
    I assume the client is UK resident and domiciled so if he was required to fill in a tax return (whether or not a tax liability arises from the foreign income) he should have disclosed his worldwide income.
    it may be beneficial to use the HMRC disclosure facilities if this dates back a few years.
Sign In or Register to comment.