The ultimate guide to building your practice

reader
reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I think the @AAT_Team have done a good job regarding this guide.

Lots of good points.

Maybe every addition of the AAT magazine could have an ultimate guide, e.g. ultimate guide to......

1) Marketing and advertising
2) Selling advisory and consultancy services (rather than compliance, e.g. doing tax returns)
3) Cloud accounting solutions
4) GDPR
5) Money laundering
6) Research and development tax credit relief
7) Settlements legislation
8) Property tax
9) IR35
10) Pensions, etc, etc

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I must say this was probably the most useful content I've ever seen in the AAT magazine.

Further Ultimates as you suggest would be a good idea if the content is as good as this time
    Regards,

Burg
  • reader
    Will @AAT_Team listen?????

Would be a shame if they didn't.
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    I agree this was a very good article. Maybe AAT are listening after all. This answers most of the questions we get on here about how to start as a member in practice.
  • reader

This answers most of the questions we get on here about how to start as a member in practice.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

It pretty much wipes out 50% of the forum questions.

AAT did great with this guide- although they have made a rod for their own back. Now I have got a taste of their ultimate guide I want better and bigger each time.

They did say a few months ago that there were going to be big changes with the magazine. I just thought they were talking about the new glossy cover!
  • AAT_Team
    AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 🤖 Admin 🤖
    edited March 2018
    reader said:

Why would you think we wouldn't listen, out of interest? I immediately sent your feedback to my colleague from the content team who manages the AAT magazines and they replied to me with "Thanks Paul, we’ll keep this in mind."

Over the last 12 months we have worked very hard to split Accounting Technician into two magazines, one for students and one for professionals. This was so we could improve the offering for both students and professional members by focusing the content in each issue, and the decision was pretty much based on feedback from our readers in the first place.

I don't want to sound defensive! :) I'm just trying to understand the negative connotations in your comment, given how much effort is going into moving forward and improving things around here and other places in the business. :+1:
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    AAT_Team said:

reader said:

Why would you think we wouldn't listen, out of interest? I immediately sent your feedback to my colleague from the content team who manages the AAT magazines and they replied to me with "Thanks Paul, we’ll keep this in mind."

Over the last 12 months we have worked very hard to split Accounting Technician into two magazines, one for students and one for professionals. This was so we could improve the offering for both students and professional members by focusing the content in each issue, and the decision was pretty much based on feedback from our readers in the first place.

I don't want to sound defensive! :) I'm just trying to understand the negative connotations in your comment, given how much effort is going into moving forward and improving things around here and other places in the business. :+1:
    I can't answer for reader but what I can say is well done. I always 'read' the magazine but in the past i've probably only really read 3 or 4 pages a month. The rest i've just skimmed over. This time it was more the other way round.

It's great to see AAT supporting the everyday member as I'm led to believe some other bodies do have a bit too much focus on those at the top in the corporate world.

Again, well done AAT
    Regards,

Burg
  • AAT_Team
    @burg thank you very much, I will give the team another bump re this thread and your feedback :)
  • AAT_Team
    edited March 2018
    On the topic of listening it's probably a good time to plug AAT Green room. We launched this last year because, well, your feedback really matters. You can get involved here.

"The AAT Green Room is AAT's online research community. If you’re a participant we’ll send you regular surveys on a variety of topics, and in return you’ll have a chance to win our monthly prize of £50. We’ll also share the most interesting results with you and let you know how we’ve acted on them."

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Yes I have subscribed to the AAT Green Room and would recommend members to take part. You don't have to answer every single survey but it's a good way to share your thoughts with AAT.
  • reader
    edited March 2018
    AAT_Team said:

reader said:

I thought my first post was very positive and lots of praise there. Before me, there was no forum member praising the AAT for such a good magazine.

Regarding my question "Will the AAT listen????" I hadn't heard back anything after my first post so concluded my post/praise had been overlooked. On reflection, you probably have millions of other things to do so no response is completely understandable. Ultimately, the proof will be in the pudding when I see the other 2018 AAT magazines.

I believe my AAT subscription costs around £329 . I'm a member of the Institute of Financial Accountants and ATT so consequently don't even need to pay the £329 (I never use the FMAAT letters after my name because I don't want my clients to realize I'm not ACCA and have had problems with mortgage companies regarding only being AAT in the past*). I pay the £329 because there is some benefit in the magazine, breakfast briefings, and branch meetings. If these 3 things disappeared/deteriorated I would definitely resign from the AAT because it would be completely pointless given that I'm already with the Institute of Financial Accountants and ATT.

I hope my thoughts/feedback are of some use to you/AAT.

*Yes, I do notify the AAT when I have problems with mortgage references however the AAT are extremely slow to reply, several weeks. And I have never had a problem when I use my Institute of Financial Accountants membership.
  • AAT_Team
    I'll try my best to address all positive feedback in person moving forward.
Privacy Policy