VAT reclaim on renovation costs for a holiday home - VAT registration date?
Can I choose a future VAT registration start date e.g. July 2018, if I want to reclaim VAT paid on renovation costs of a holiday home 2 years ago? July 18 would give my client time to address their sales pricing (to charge VAT). Bookings started 1 year ago after renovation, and my client would like to voluntarily register to reclaim the VAT back. I understand that if I back date the registration date to the first booking, I can claim back the VAT (purchases fall within the 4 year rule) and I would have to adjust sales figures to account for the VAT not charged originally, as VAT must be charged on the registration date set. However, if I were to use the VAT registration start date as July 18, is the VAT reclaim still possible with no VAT being charged on previous sales? I obviously would not be able to account for VAT on sales 1 year ago with a VAT registration date of July 18. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
- All Categories
- 1.2K Books to buy and sell
- 2.3K General discussion
- 18.9K For AAT students
- 234 NEW! Qualifications 2022
- 133 General Qualifications 2022 discussion
- 7 AAT Level 2 Certificate in Accounting
- 31 AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting
- 55 AAT Level 4 Diploma in Professional Accounting
- 8.9K For accounting professionals
- 23 coronavirus (Covid-19)
- 272 VAT
- 91 Software
- 272 Tax
- 135 Bookkeeping
- 7.3K General accounting discussion
- 201 AAT member discussion (AATQB, MAAT, FMAAT and AAT Licensed Accountants and Bookkeepers)
- 3.8K For everyone
- 39 AAT news and announcements
- 352 Feedback for AAT
- 2.8K Chat and off-topic discussion
- 586 Job postings
- 17 Who can benefit from AAT?
- 36 Where can AAT take me?
- 44 Getting started with AAT
- 26 Finding an AAT training provider
- 47 Distance learning and other ways to study AAT
- 25 Apprenticeships
- 65 AAT membership