Is AAT for me?

Options
Hi all,

I first signed up to AAT back in 2014 and got almost half way through level 2 before I quit due to personal reasons.

I am now 27 and thinking about trying again but not sure if accounting/finance is for me. Maths is my strong subject, really good with numbers but from the few months I was studying back In 2014 I know its a lot more than just numbers.

Im thinking about trying again as I just want to focus on something rather than jumping from job to job like I have been doing throughout my 20s, I just never have known what to do.

For those who have at least completed level 2 what did you think of the course? Where are you working now? Would you recommend?

I am thinking of at least completing level 2 and then see what I think from there

Comments

• Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Jds90,

Have you worked in finance jobs before? If no maybe apprenticeship would be a way to go? Workplace usually covers study costs if you sign up for apprenticeship, this way you could actually see if AAT is for you? I know it will be big financial hit, but again it depends by your personal circumstance.

If you have plenty of motivation and dedication then online study might be way to go, this is because it is cheaper and you can study around your full time work.

I personally didn't enjoyed Level 2 nor Level 3, it was interesting but it wasn't something I enjoyed doing, however I am doing Level 4 now, I have completed Management Accounting Budgeting unit and now I am finishing Management Accounting Decision and Control - from what I can see these two units are my favourite units. They are not only about calculations but about making decisions for future, budgeting and etc, I feel like this is something I want to do full time.

I started off as studying Level 2 at college once a week, on the side I was working as Personal Trainer, within 3 months of studying I found a job as Finance Assistant, which was great because it wasn't part of apprenticeship scheme, so the wage was decent as well. I finished rest of Level 2 online, and I decided to do my Level 3 & 4 online.

I would definitely recommend AAT and accounting position as a whole, however this is only my opinion, something that I like you might dislike, due to this it is best to find out yourself. Anyways good luck with whatever path of career you choose!!

Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • gemma89
    gemma89 Registered Posts: 43
    Options
    Are apprenticeships actually available for people aged late 20's as I believed the apprenticeship scheme was for 16-18 year olds so that everything was more funded for the employers.
  • Norvydas
    Options
    Dear Gemma89,

As far as I know Apprenticeship doesn't have age restrictions. My colleague she was in her late 40's when she has done her L3 & 4 apprenticeship. Again another colleagues partner is in early 30's and hes doing apprenticeship.

It might be more difficult to find one if you aged above 21, as I believe after 21 employers have to pay at least national minimum wage unless its your first year of apprenticeship. That's why its more popular between younger generation as the starting hourly wage is £3.75 p/h I think, again with experience it increases, but its cheap labour.
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • gemma89
    gemma89 Registered Posts: 43
    Options
    That was my thoughts that many employers could get away with cheap labour and paying £4 ish an hour. They don't have to pay for the study do they? - Is that the bit funded by the government?
    And also since I already have a degree I am not even sure I would be eligible for an apprenticeship so how are people supposed to gain experience.
  • Norvydas
    Options
    Dear Gemma89,

If you would do an apprenticeship then the employer would cover the cost of it. Regarding whether you are eligible or not, best option would be is to e-mail local college / even AAT and ask them about this, as I am not sure of the answer for this question.

Regarding the experience, can you afford to volunteer? Maybe ask some of the charities if you can do 1/2 days p/w of volunteering in their finance dep, so you can put this on your CV. I know what you mean by gaining experience... Employers wants young, energetic students full of passion to join them, also they want them with experience... How can someone who finished uni or college have experience in the field that they got qualified if they've only got qualified... It is very silly and you are very lucky if you get recruited by the job which would agree to take you on without experience!

In my case, my employer were specifically looking for someone without experience so they can teach me to do everything how they want it to be done.
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • badhombre
    badhombre Registered Posts: 20
    Options
    @Jds90 with studying you can never go wrong - even if you ended up working outside of finance having completed your AAT studies will only assist you in the future. Of course if you had a strong inclination for a particular work stream - say you wanted to be an engineer or a paramedic then you'd need to focus your studies in the particular field but if you don't have any pull toward a specific area then as a generic diploma you cant go wrong with AAT :)
Privacy Policy