Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion

CIU (Club & Institute Union)

AndreaMcAndreaMc MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 21
Hi All,
I'm after some help, I have been approached by a new potential client to produce there year end accounts, they are a social club. I was wondering if the accounts would be filed differently from a normal LTD company. If so what would the differences be. Or if someone could point me in the right direction to find out. I have a meeting with them soon and would like to ensure I am fully prepared to answer any questions they have.

Any help regarding this would be appreciated.



  • davealucasdavealucas LondonMAAT Posts: 86
    Normally CIU member clubs are either on of the following:

    A friendly society, created under the Friendly Societies Acts 1974 (these are not ltd companies, but have a management committee with trustees)

    An Industrial & Provident Society, normally created under the IPS Act. These are limited but not registered at companies house if I remember correctly. Every member must contribute an amount (usually £1) if it is wound up.

    Friendly Societies have to provide returns to the FCA and IP Societies also have their own registrar. In either case it is the responsibility of the Club Secretary to complete these returns.
  • AndreaMcAndreaMc MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 21
    Hi Dave,
    Thank you for your help. I was wondering if you could help me a little further. I can now confirm that the client is a friendly society ACT 1974. The client has informed us that the CIU requires them to have there accounts in a certain format and we as the accountants should have a specialist insurance to do this.Just wondering if you are aware of anything regarding this or could help in way with information. I have tried to contact the CIU and they were very unhelpful.

    a final point I wondered if you could help with is pricing.... annual accounts on a quarterly basis, quarterly VAT returns. with a turnover approx. 380k, this is all we have at present. Records are kept in a book for all ins and outs.

    Thank you in advance.
  • davealucasdavealucas LondonMAAT Posts: 86
    Hi Andrea,

    I only know from my experience as a treasurer to a working men's club which happened to be a CIU affiliate (and also was a Friendly Society under the 1974 Act).

    The financial statements are pretty standard. Bar sales will need it's own trading account and everything else can come under general income and general expenses.

    The Statement of Financial Position will generally record the land and buildings at cost (no point in revaluing them as they cannot be sold - there is no club if there is no building).

    The club should already have copies of previous accounts. Ask for a copy for you to look at. That should give you a general idea.

    Oh another thing is that the accounts, under the Friendly Society Act, will have to be audited by a registered auditor!

    Pricing isn't something I can help with, sorry.
  • AndreaMcAndreaMc MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 21
    Thank you for your help i really appreciated it.
Sign In or Register to comment.