Possible to become an accountant with a criminal record?

Options
BradJones_FTA
BradJones_FTA Registered Posts: 23
There seems to be a grey area here that I'd just like someone to share their opinion or knowledge on as AAT themselves only list serious criminal records being a deal breaker. Is this true or does it apply to any criminal record such as silly things?

Comments

• hal978
    hal978 Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am not sure if you are referring to AAT's Criminal Convictions Policy, but if not, that is the first place to start.

The applicant will be required to provide at least 2 character references if they have, for example, a civil sanction (such as a non-motoring penalty or fine) or an unspent criminal conviction. Depending on the seriousness and relevance of the criminal record to accounting, the application maybe refused.

Also bear in mind that the Money Laundering Regulations 2017 does not permit individuals with a "relevant offence" (as defined by those Regulations) to own or manage accountancy firms.
  • mighty18
    mighty18 Registered Posts: 16
    Options
    I have two convictions and I have a level 1, 2 & 3 in aat accountancy. I had an appointment to discuss this before, I started my level 2 and they decided to draw a line beneath it and move me up the ladder into future employment so, it was overlooked. But, it's worth discussing it with the college who would be greatly appreciated with your honesty in 'disclosure.'
Privacy Policy