assessment 1 - task 3 mortgage payment? How?!

Can anyone please kindly explain how AAT have got to the mortgage monthly payment of £34000? I cannot seem to understand how that is the amount. I thought it was 20700!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • kellypreston
    kellypreston AAT Student Posts: 24
    £6,000,000 x 3.5% = £210,000 = interest per year.
    £210,000 x 20 = £4,200,000 = total interest.
    £4,200,000 + £6,000,000 = £10,200,000 = total amount of loan.
    £10,200,000 x 80% = £8,160,000 = mortgage 80% of loan.
    £8,160,000 / 20 = £408,000 per annum.
    £408,000 / 12 = £34,000 per month.
    aat2200
  • aat2200
    aat2200 Registered Posts: 23
    > @kellypreston said:
    > £6,000,000 x 3.5% = £210,000 = interest per year.
    > £210,000 x 20 = £4,200,000 = total interest.
    > £4,200,000 + £6,000,000 = £10,200,000 = total amount of loan.
    > £10,200,000 x 80% = £8,160,000 = mortgage 80% of loan.
    > £8,160,000 / 20 = £408,000 per annum.
    > £408,000 / 12 = £34,000 per month.

    Thanks so much!
  • Lucygsy
    Lucygsy Registered Posts: 34
    > @kellypreston said:
    > £6,000,000 x 3.5% = £210,000 = interest per year.
    > £210,000 x 20 = £4,200,000 = total interest.
    > £4,200,000 + £6,000,000 = £10,200,000 = total amount of loan.
    > £10,200,000 x 80% = £8,160,000 = mortgage 80% of loan.
    > £8,160,000 / 20 = £408,000 per annum.
    > £408,000 / 12 = £34,000 per month.

    Howcome interest is charged on the full amount if only 80% is financed via the mortgage? Assuming the other 20% is funded by other means?? Why would interest be charged on an amount not funded by the mortgage??
  • kellypreston
    kellypreston AAT Student Posts: 24
    If you read the additional information it says:
    "the mortgage is for a 20 year period and interest is charged on the INITIAL balance at 3.5%"
    So thats why you use the full amount (6M) because that was the initial amount.

    I hope this makes sense?
  • Lucygsy
    Lucygsy Registered Posts: 34

    If you read the additional information it says:
    "the mortgage is for a 20 year period and interest is charged on the INITIAL balance at 3.5%"
    So thats why you use the full amount (6M) because that was the initial amount.

    I hope this makes sense?

    Hi.

    I understand the question, however I don't think it logically makes sense. It's like if you were to purchase a car for £1,000 and you place a £200 deposit (therefore 80% LTV) and then paying interest on your money that was contributed. It's not the question that's causing confusion but the concept that you would charge interest on the other 20%. If the remaining 20% was funded by a bank overdraft then there would be the overdraft interest in addition to the mortgage interest.

    Can you see where I am coming from?
    Staceydanielsx
  • Weted
    Weted Registered Posts: 2
    I also have some problems with homework tasks. I'm happy I've found this forum. before that, I've used this service when I need some assistance with research paper etc
  • Staceydanielsx
    Staceydanielsx Registered Posts: 40
    @Lucygsy Totally understand, it makes no sense at all
  • willdiam
    willdiam Registered Posts: 2
    This is why it is better to go to a broker instead of worrying about where the money came from. Or you can collect data on mortgage programs in the region yourself. Some of the information is available on the banks' websites, and some are only available after you make a phone call or visit a branch. Compare interest rates, possible mortgage repayment terms, calculate the number of overpayments, and of course, Study your finances. Yes, I agree this process is time-consuming, but if you want an answer to your question, it is worth doing it yourself or contacting Mortgage Advice Derby.
  • willdiam
    willdiam Registered Posts: 2
    edited June 6
    hello
  • Jastikur
    Jastikur Registered Posts: 1
    edited June 6
    The process is time-consuming, and you need to have patience with it.
  • bigevy08
    bigevy08 Registered Posts: 20
    Lucygsy said:

    > @kellypreston said:
    > £6,000,000 x 3.5% = £210,000 = interest per year.
    > £210,000 x 20 = £4,200,000 = total interest.
    > £4,200,000 + £6,000,000 = £10,200,000 = total amount of loan.
    > £10,200,000 x 80% = £8,160,000 = mortgage 80% of loan.
    > £8,160,000 / 20 = £408,000 per annum.
    > £408,000 / 12 = £34,000 per month.

    Howcome interest is charged on the full amount if only 80% is financed via the mortgage? Assuming the other 20% is funded by other means?? Why would interest be charged on an amount not funded by the mortgage??

    The way Kelly has calculated it is different from myself, but it comes to the same answer.....

    The loan value is actually £6,000,000 x 80% = £4,800,000
    Making annual interest £4,800,000 x 3.5% = £168,000
    Total interest £168,000 x 20 = £3,360,000
    Total loan £3,360,000 + £4,800,000 = £8,160,000
    Annual cost £8,160,000 / 20 = £408,000
    Monthly cost £408,000 / 12 = £34,000

    Doesn't matter if you calculate the 80% at the start or after you have calculated the interest charge, but this is the way I've been taught to work it out (by a mortgage advisor friend).
    AAT Student Member.

    Foundation - Distinction 94%
    Advanced - Distinction 90%
    Professional - Ongoing (FSLC 89%, MABU 82%, MDCL 82%, PDSY 76%, CTRM due 21/07/22)
Privacy Policy