Starting out and getting experience..

HI everyone, I'm enrolled to start HNC Accounting in the evenings at my local college, starting at the end of this month.

My plan is to then go on to do AAT qualifications. I have a BA Business and Management from 2003 but then I mainly stayed home to raise my family, although I have kept records for my own small businesses and done some very short term admin work.

I am wondering how I go about getting some experience, paid or voluntary, in this field. It seems like all positions require experience, so how do I get the experience?

I am leaning towards bookkeeping qualifications with AAT rather than accounting. My ideal would be to eventually work part time as a bookkeeper for a company.

There is a possibility of me volunteering at a local credit union, which would be more general admin role, although they do process loan applications etc which I'd like to get involved in. Is there anything other than this that I could do?. I am limited to only being able to work part time as I have young children.

Comments

• CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    Depending on what you want to do will depend where the best places to do work experience. You want to make sure that the work experience is accountancy/bookkeeping and not just helping with admin.

I did work experience with a small accountancy practice (just the days I could manage in between work and family etc) If you want to do bookkeeping then I am sure some accountancy practices would let you do some work experience. The bigger practices, you may find harder to get in contact with.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • DazLock
    DazLock Registered, Tutor Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Hi Laura
    What part of the country do you live?
Privacy Policy