Decision and Control Exam

Hi,

Has anyone recently taken their decision and control exam.

If yes, I know there previously were complaints about it being very different to the practise ones on the AAT website and much more difficult so I just wanted to get feedback on whether this is still the case?

Also, do you have any tips?!

Thank you :)
Sophia

Comments

• amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Sophia,

I took this exam back in May and wont lie it was tough, although the format was very similar to the AAT online mocks, it was a difficult exam (maybe I just got a hard paper!).

I felt that the AAT Greenlight tests were really helpful for exam prep and also reading the AAT examiners guide gave me a few additional pointers. I will have to resit the exam at the end of the year, although I felt really prepared when I went in for the exam it was not meant to be on that occasion!

Good Luck! :)
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • VS1
    VS1 Registered Posts: 71
    Hi,

I have sat both the old exam (got 67% and 62%) and new (85%), so from experience the new exam is so much better and I could tell the difference the new exam was not as difficult and managed to finish with spare time on hand. Unfortunately I am not good with written questions so the essay element always fails me.

As for tips thoroughly practice the AAT assessment questions, Kaplan exam kit was really helpful. Don't waste too much time on 1 question, if not sure move to the next. Aim to get the ones you are confident on first and then you can spend time working on questions you are not sure on.
  • sophia95
    sophia95 Registered Posts: 8
    VS1 said:

Hi,

I have sat both the old exam (got 67% and 62%) and new (85%), so from experience the new exam is so much better and I could tell the difference the new exam was not as difficult and managed to finish with spare time on hand.

Hi, thank you for your answer :) - When did you sit the new exam?

• sophia95
    amurray said:

Hi Sophia,

I took this exam back in May and wont lie it was tough, although the format was very similar to the AAT online mocks, it was a difficult exam (maybe I just got a hard paper!).

I felt that the AAT Greenlight tests were really helpful for exam prep and also reading the AAT examiners guide gave me a few additional pointers. I will have to resit the exam at the end of the year, although I felt really prepared when I went in for the exam it was not meant to be on that occasion!

Good Luck! :)

In what way was it more difficult? - were there questions you've never seen before? or just the way they were written? - Also is there any areas specifically I should learn more about? - I'm aware you can't give away too much but any help would be soooo appreciated!

Thanks
  • amurray
    Hi Sophia,

It was the way the questions were written I thought - I had trouble interpreting some of them.

Not the strongest at written answers either so I am brushing up on those areas before resitting. In terms of specific areas ofcourse its best to revise everything in the syllabus, however I would look at all the Greenlight tests and the areas that those cover and also familiarise yourself with the Mocks online.

Are you studying with a training provider or self studying?.... I have also heard that the Kaplan Exam Kit is a good buy!
  • VS1
    VS1 Registered Posts: 71
    sophia95 said:

VS1 said:

Hi,

I have sat both the old exam (got 67% and 62%) and new (85%), so from experience the new exam is so much better and I could tell the difference the new exam was not as difficult and managed to finish with spare time on hand.

Hi, thank you for your answer :) - When did you sit the new exam?

Just checked the date, 20/03/2018.

Also would like to mention a couple of questions worth a lot of marks that I left in my second attempt came on the new version too, but having more time on hand was a bonus, could experiment and spend more time thinking. Unfortunately with the old style since they were cramming too many questions with the same amount of time, time management again is not my forte.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
  • sophia95
    I have found out Friday that I passed at 82%!! - The exam was very similar to the 2nd mock! so I would recommend looking at break even, mark up and marginal/absorption costing etc! Last exam tomorrow :)
  • amurray
    sophia95 said:

I have found out Friday that I passed at 82%!! - The exam was very similar to the 2nd mock! so I would recommend looking at break even, mark up and marginal/absorption costing etc! Last exam tomorrow :)

Congratulations Sophia, thats a great result!
  • adekunbi
    adekunbi Registered Posts: 2
    sophia95 said:

Hi sophia, congrats. how do you mean by "similar to the 2nd mock".. do you me the AAT online practise assessment?
Privacy Policy