How long does it take to complete the entire AAT programme.

Options
Accounts30
Accounts30 Registered Posts: 10
Hi to put it shortly, I'm taking a career break and would like to train as a chartered accountant. I have been advised to do the AAT course first so thought now would be a good time. From my understanding, if you don't have to worry about juggling fulltime work but treated it like being in full-time Uni how long does it take to do the course?

I have informal experience reading balance sheets and profit and loss accounts so have got a decent understanding but to be on the safe side will start off from level 2.

Comments

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Hi @Accounts30

I think someone once completed the whole 3 levels in under 9 months? Realistically I would say about a year to 18 months, but it really depends on how fast you learn. Also remember that the qualification is nothing without practical experience on the side so you may want to find an employer willing to take you on and help with the study costs.
  • David Ballantyne
    David Ballantyne Registered Posts: 105 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hello,

You may find my responses in the discussion thread I link to below helpful regarding which chartered qualification to go for and whether you should study AAT first.

https://forums.aat.org.uk/Forum/discussion/comment/459714#Comment_459714

Kind regards,

David.
    David Ballantyne
    Connect with me on LinkedIn!
    Ballantyne Accountants
  • Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @Accounts30

I started my Level 2 in October/November 2016.
    Now it's September 2018 and I already took my Level 4 synoptic exam & 1 exam from Optional units, I have 1 more exam to do.

It took me so long because when I did Level 2 I did this with college, therefore I had to wait for all students to be comfortable with the unit and then all of us would take the exam at the same time... Level 2 took me longest out of all levels.

I did level 3&4 online and I found it much quicker and easier!
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • dumutroba
    dumutroba Registered Posts: 262
    Options
    Hello,

I have passed level 2&3 within 6 months, started level 4 now and I hope to conclude that in 12 months+optinal units included.So in total I would say around 18 months
    I work full time and have no prior knowledge and I don't work in the trade
    I am self studying
    AAT Level 2. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 3. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 4. 2019 FSLC 100% MABU 93% MADC 82% PDSY 80%
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • Accounts30
    Options
    Hi, I thought of that my intention is to find a part-time intern position in a large finance department so that I build up experience whilst I complete the course so that I can apply for an entry position once I've done level 3. It would be wonderful to see if I can get funding for the course when I find an intern position but wouldn't be a complete disaster. I think I will stick with the online distance course because they seem to be more affordable.
  • Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    @Accounts30

If you are a quick learner and like to move with your own pace then Distance Learning is definitely correct choice! I work full time as well, but I can still put more time into studies while I am doing online study than going college + it's a lot cheaper and quicker!

As someone has mentioned above, without practical experience the qualification won't mean much. It is difficult to find a job that wouldn't require at least 1 / 2 years of experience in accounts!

Good Luck!
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • Accounts30
    Options
    Norvydas said:

@Accounts30

If you are a quick learner and like to move with your own pace then Distance Learning is definitely correct choice! I work full time as well, but I can still put more time into studies while I am doing online study than going college + it's a lot cheaper and quicker!

As someone has mentioned above, without practical experience the qualification won't mean much. It is difficult to find a job that wouldn't require at least 1 / 2 years of experience in accounts!

Good Luck!

Hi Norvydas I just thought the same. That experience is essential which is why I intend to intern whilst I do the course. My rationale is that this way I build up practical experience making it easier to apply for a position.

Does anyone know if you have 4 months plus experience is sufficient to land an entry-level job as a clerk?
Privacy Policy