Failed Level 4 Synoptic Again!!

I received my results this morning for this horrific Synoptic exam! This was my 3rd attempt, 65% 65% 67% and my only remaining unit. I have passed every unit successfully since level 2 so what on earth am I doing wrong. I left this last exam feeling a little more confident as I had related my questions to the pre release material as often as I could and I had not done this in the other 2 attempts, the only question I knew I had failed on was task 2. I have no idea on how to answer these questions to obtain the marks, I answer them in the way the practice assessments advise you to do, as I did in each module where I passed successfully.
I have this morning booked on to the next exam which is this Friday 5th October, I have not practiced yet though, for the other attempts I was giving 4/5 hours each evening, 2 weeks prior and it hasn't gotten me anywhere. I think the problem here is the practice assessments, they are sending us in the wrong direction, the only way I can describe this is learning to drive in an automatic car then being asked to take your test in a manual.
I complained to AAT just after taking this exam and they just responded with 'the questions are as the practice' but they are not!
The questions might be but the required answers are not!
Can someone please give me some help and advice for this Friday and help me get on with my life.
Thank you all.

Comments

• sharpy92
    sharpy92 Registered Posts: 52
    I failed this exam twice, after never failing an exam prior to this through all the levels.

I failed with 64 and 65%, I was absolutely adamant I had passed easily second time around but didn't once mention the pre-release either time.

Third attempt I mentioned it as much as I could in each writing task (using the names of staff, principles etc) and got 75%. I was significantly below on Q4 regarding relevant costs as I had no idea, but managed to exceed 3 tasks - 2 of these being writing tasks.

So I would advise your main focus to be be re-reading and understanding/making notes regarding the pre-release materials as much as possible. Then somehow get them into your answers even if it doesn't seem like it makes much sense or is relevant.
  • Jlaw1900
    Jlaw1900 Registered Posts: 6
    Thank you, I appreciate your advice and yes, I will concentrate more on the Company, the structure and make sure to mention names. I suppose I need to treat the assessment like it is a case study rather than an assessment which we are all used to.
    Than you x
  • jameelmalik98
    jameelmalik98 Registered Posts: 7
    Is the accounting systems and control element that important? The study material I have from kaplan just makes it seem like a load of waffle that has no connection to the exam
  • Jlaw1900
    Hi yes it is important and will come up in the exam.
  • SammyNewell
    SammyNewell Registered Posts: 5
    After reading this advice, I will definitely make sure to mention the Company Structure where possible as I have really been struggling with where I went wrong on the written elements - so thank you for the tip!

The accounting systems will definitely appear - multiple choice in the first and also written.
  • Glam
    Glam Registered Posts: 2
    I have also failed the synoptic three times 67%, 69% and on Friday 68% (my computer went down twice in the exam). This is also my last unit and don't understand how I have managed to fail. AAT have also increased their appeal charges very conveniently considering many student are appealing ( gone up from £30 to £35).
    I don't know if it is me but I found out on Saturday by chance that the pre release material has also changed.
    Exams going to be based on a company named Rawhide.
    I am taking the exam again on 5/10 so can only hope for the best.
    I understand when you say you want your life back I have been stuck on level 4 for two years now I have no tutor support as the company my employer chose are completely useless. I am working full time with 4 kids so yes I would also like to have my life back.
    Seems to me many students have dropped out as the last exam i took it was only myself and another student.
  • Jlaw1900
    Hi Glam, yes, I have noticed that the pre release material has changed I have also noticed the sample assessments have a few new questions. I have done these assessments so many times I can do them with my eyes shut! There also seems to be a little more help within the study support section, it's a shame these weren't available last year!
    Good luck on Friday, fingers crossed we are both successful this time.
  • BenSear
    BenSear Registered Posts: 7
    Glam said:

I have also failed the synoptic three times 67%, 69% and on Friday 68% (my computer went down twice in the exam). This is also my last unit and don't understand how I have managed to fail. AAT have also increased their appeal charges very conveniently considering many student are appealing ( gone up from £30 to £35).

I don't know if it is me but I found out on Saturday by chance that the pre release material has also changed.

Exams going to be based on a company named Rawhide.

I am taking the exam again on 5/10 so can only hope for the best.

I understand when you say you want your life back I have been stuck on level 4 for two years now I have no tutor support as the company my employer chose are completely useless. I am working full time with 4 kids so yes I would also like to have my life back.

Seems to me many students have dropped out as the last exam i took it was only myself and another student.

which company are you with mine aren't great either!
  • Jlaw1900
    I was with a local college, I don't really want to shame them. I finished the course in January so I have no tutor to call upon and work full time so studying is difficult. I think I am just going to concentrate this time on really understanding this company, if I fail for a 4th time I may just give up as it's only going to get harder for me.
  • Glam
    Glam Registered Posts: 2
    I was/am with a big training provider but feel their service and tutor support is non existent.
    we have come to far to give up let's give it another go we will do this.
    I have looked at the pre release material and have complied a SWOT analysis- looked at what costing will work best for company - how foreign supplier affects situation-inventory mess
    I have tried to cover as much as I can
  • fclarke
    fclarke Registered Posts: 12
    Hi All, I struggled with this exam too but I have just managed to pass with 85% which is a HUGE relief. If I could give you once piece of advice it would be to use the Kaplan books when studying (they have a great revision kit with lots of questions and online resources, as well as the main study text). I paid for this separately as I was studying at my local college who were shockingly bad, so in the end I basically had to teach myself in order to pass. Good luck to you all!
  • Dsynoptic
    Dsynoptic Registered Posts: 7
    Hi. I posted a Petition to make Synoptic Level 4 exam optional if you would like to sign for it
  • Bran278
    Bran278 Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    fclarke said:

Hi All, I struggled with this exam too but I have just managed to pass with 85% which is a HUGE relief. If I could give you once piece of advice it would be to use the Kaplan books when studying (they have a great revision kit with lots of questions and online resources, as well as the main study text). I paid for this separately as I was studying at my local college who were shockingly bad, so in the end I basically had to teach myself in order to pass. Good luck to you all!

I second this...I've used the Kaplan books throughout all levels and they have been absolutely amazing. I've got excellent results on every level using them!
  • Stina
    Stina Registered Posts: 6
    @Dsynoptic I think the synoptic assessment will be removed from 2022. there will be only 5 assessment onward. :o
Privacy Policy