Finding a Mentor/Earning a Professional Reference

PokePoke27
PokePoke27 Registered Posts: 3
Hi Everyone,

I'm AATQB. I've been qualified for just over a year, working in the accounts department of a medium sized business for just shy of three years. I'm looking to become a licensed bookkeeper so that I can offer freelance services, initially alongside my current job until I am able to grow enough to support myself full time.

However the first, rather large, stumbling block I have come across is the requirement of a professional reference to become licensed. Obviously I have not had any clients as I cannot offer freelance services without a license, and I don't work in a practice where I could have a colleague or supervisor provide a reference.

I would like to find a mentor from whom I can earn a professional reference, ideally someone that I could build a working relationship with.

Does anyone have any advice in this regard?

Comments

• David Ballantyne
    David Ballantyne Registered Posts: 105 New contributor 🐸
    The most obvious answer would be to ask your manager in the accounts department of your employer unless you feel that this would cause problems.

You could try going to your local AAT branch and network with other members some of whom may be licensed. If there are licensed members on the committee, it may be worth joining the committee so that they can gain experience of working with you which would naturally lead on to helping you to develop your practice ambitions.
    David Ballantyne
    Connect with me on LinkedIn!
    Ballantyne Accountants
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Which part of country are you based.
  • PokePoke27

The most obvious answer would be to ask your manager in the accounts department of your employer unless you feel that this would cause problems.

You could try going to your local AAT branch and network with other members some of whom may be licensed. If there are licensed members on the committee, it may be worth joining the committee so that they can gain experience of working with you which would naturally lead on to helping you to develop your practice ambitions.

Thanks for your response.

I don't want to ask my manager at work because I do worry that it could cause problems. Honestly I'm happy enough in my current job that I'm not chomping at the bit to be gone, I just feel that I have outgrown my role and there is nowhere else in the company for me to grow.

I will look into my local AAT branch. I'm honestly not sure what to expect there, I didn't realise that there were networking opportunities there!
  • PokePoke27
    Neillaw said:

Which part of country are you based.

I'm based in Essex.
  • DannyT90
    DannyT90 Registered Posts: 158
    I'm exactly in the same position. I'm AATQB and a few family members want me to do their books, so I want to become licenced. However, I also work in an accounts department of a medium sized business and I don't feel like asking my manager for a reference would be the best thing to do.

@pokepoke27 did you manage to resolve the issue?
  • ashakantaxharma
    ashakantaxharma Registered Posts: 9
    Hope by now you would have got many references.
    Asha Kanta Sharma
    +91-98642-72826
    Guwahati, Assam, India
Privacy Policy