Best Laptop for New Business

Options
DannyT90
DannyT90 Registered Posts: 158
Can anyone offer any tips on what laptops are good for accounting/bookkeeping software.

I'm looking at doing bookkeeping on the side in the near future and want the best equipment available in regards to memory and performance.

Comments

• hal978
    hal978 Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Make sure you get one with a keyboard with a numeric keypad; not many laptops have these.
  • DannyT90
    Options
    That's a very good point!

Are you a licenced bookkeeper?
  • hal978
    Options
    No, I'm a licensed accountant. I didn't apply for AATQB because I was already providing self-employed bookkeeping and accountancy services while I was an affiliate (which is allowed), so I applied for MAAT and licence at the same time.
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I prefer the smaller laptop which means I have a seperate number pad. For me the laptops with the number pads are to large to cart around which is why I go for a smaller screen without pad.

I also connect mine to a screen while I'm at my desk so screen size doesn't really matter.

You would need to consider what software you are going to use to work out the relevant processor chip, I think that an I3 would be the basic entry level for speed I5 or I7 chip would be better dependent on your budget. SSD hard drive is a must as my IT keeps telling me. Memory can also be boosted by additional being put into the machine.
  • DannyT90
    Options
    Thanks Neil. Am I right in thinking if I'm going to start up my bookkeeping business on the side and the clients I already have lined up are small businesses, can I use excel for now and then move onto an accounting software?
  • hal978
    Options
    Neillaw said:

I prefer the smaller laptop which means I have a seperate number pad. For me the laptops with the number pads are to large to cart around which is why I go for a smaller screen without pad.

I also connect mine to a screen while I'm at my desk so screen size doesn't really matter.

You would need to consider what software you are going to use to work out the relevant processor chip, I think that an I3 would be the basic entry level for speed I5 or I7 chip would be better dependent on your budget. SSD hard drive is a must as my IT keeps telling me. Memory can also be boosted by additional being put into the machine.

Which number pad do you use? The Bluetooth ones from ebay don't seem to work with Windows 10.
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I use a Logitec.

Bluetooth, mines quite old but still works fine so why change. The newer version is the N305 (I think).

I have no problems with windows 10 as I use both the keypad and have a seperate keyboard, when the wife having an OCD day the keypad comes out.
  • tianen
    tianen Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    I recommend Xiaomi Mi Notebook 15.6'' with full function numeric keypad
  • tianen
    Options

• DannyT90
    Options
    Why the recommendation?
  • tianen
    Options
    Because this Xiaomi Mi Notebook has both regular keyboard and numeric keypad built-in together so you don't need to buy a separate number pad. Or you can buy a Xiaomi numberkey accessory to turn the notebook touchpad into a number keypad instantly.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    personally I'd recommend a Macbook. I changed our whole practice from windows machines to Macbook Airs in November. Yes there was an initial cost outlay but I was fed up with Windows machines just not lasting. I'd tried everything from cheap basic machines to a £900 HP. They just lacked performance and quality.
    If you really need to stay Windows for some reason then I'd only consider a Dell XPS 13.
    Regards,

Burg
Privacy Policy