Tier 4 Licence experience.

DomOne
DomOne Registered Posts: 8
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm just about to complete my Level 3 Advanced Accounting. In July I intend to apply for a licence to start my own business offering all the services listed for tier 4. I've read in a few places that I need to provide evidence of experience for each service. For Bookkeeping I currently volunteer under a licenced accountant but the others (PAYE, VAT etc) I have next to no experience and do not come from a finance background.

If I wasn't intending to go on to do Level 4 and in the future get my accounting licence I'd be tempted to cancel my membership of AAT to practice unlicensed for a year and then re-join!

My question is just how much experience is required for AAT to grant the licence for each Tier 4 Service?

Thanks,

Comments

• CornishPixie
    CornishPixie Registered Posts: 115 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I also gained my work experience through 3 years of voluntary work under an accountant. For each of the sections I wanted included in my licence, I made sure that I was very thorough in writing about the work that I had completed, the particular tasks that I had undertaken in order to achieve an outcome including what I had leant from that process. Probably a bit over the top, but I got everything I asked for except inheritance tax because, even though it's one of my favourite topics, whilst I was volunteering, the accountant didn't have any work in that respect. She signed off my work on the application form to show that she had witnessed me doing the work and was happy with the quality of my work.

Yes, it's a bit time consuming but it does make you think about what you have achieved so far - it's just a case of getting it onto the form.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. If you want to do payroll and VAT , then Level 4 would be ideal, particularly the tax options.
  • hal978
    hal978 Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    You'll need a minimum of 6 months work experience in each area, as this is what it says on the application form. Anything over 12 months experience you can just say "12+" for the number of months experience.
  • colls10
    colls10 Registered Posts: 22
    I struggle with getting the experience . I achieved my level 3 start of this year and had done some months work under an accountant but sadly he just used me to sort and account for 12 months of a charities invoices and receipts and expenses handed to me in a bag and document on spread sheets . Then he vanished . I’m 44 and finding it hard for anyone to let me get some experience. I joined I A B and after completing their compliance programme and paying fees they have licensed me and provided money laundering supervision. I intend to do level 4 as like the tax element but sadly I found getting the experience or allowed to by anyone was just near impossible ☹️
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    colls10 said:

I struggle with getting the experience . I achieved my level 3 start of this year and had done some months work under an accountant but sadly he just used me to sort and account for 12 months of a charities invoices and receipts and expenses handed to me in a bag and document on spread sheets . Then he vanished . I’m 44 and finding it hard for anyone to let me get some experience. I joined I A B and after completing their compliance programme and paying fees they have licensed me and provided money laundering supervision. I intend to do level 4 as like the tax element but sadly I found getting the experience or allowed to by anyone was just near impossible ☹️

What job/career did you do before AAT?

Accountancy (particularly the junior roles) will disappear in the next 10 - 20 years due to automation/artificial intelligence/robots, etc.
  • colls10
    colls10 Registered Posts: 22
    Banking / insurance / sales. Yes you are quite right regards automation etc, that’s why the role of a bookkeeper should really now be more focussed on advisory services. Becoming knowledgable in platforms such as quick books and Xero. No matter how far automation goes at present , you still need to be able to show your potential client how your package for them is going to solve their headaches . Be that not enough time, worried about getting paid or when getting paid , their cash flows and budgets. If you can show them how you can relieve them of their worry or give them the information that will help them sleep at night, then this is priceless.
Privacy Policy