Conflict of interest

Options
gordonfgunn
gordonfgunn Registered Posts: 2
Hi everyone

I'm a trustee for a museum, which is registered as a Ltd Co with full charitable status. I run my own accountancy practice, and the museum are looking to outsource the bookkeeping.

Is there a conflict of interest of me being a trustee, and charging the museum for my services? I don't have access to the bank account etc

Comments

• CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    Options
    You could get quotes from different bookkeepers to make sure that the price you are charging is reasonable.

Also when it comes to making the decision, remove yourself from that discussion so the other trustees don't feel pressured.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • gordonfgunn
    gordonfgunn Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks. That's what we're doing, we're getting quotes from all local bookkeepers, and from a bit of background reading removing myself from the actual decision is needed.

I'm currently a sole trader, would me being a Ltd Co make any difference to the conflict of interest? In that it wouldn't be me financially benefiting directly as a person, but a company controlled by me instead? Or would this make no difference?
  • davealucas
    davealucas Registered Posts: 140 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    @gordonfgunn Normally Trustees are not permitted to benefit from the Charity for the very reason that you state (conflict of interest). That is not to say it cannot be done but the Board of Trustees have to be very careful. It could be possible that the Charity's constitution doesn't permit such an appointment.

You should read the Charity Commission's guidance on conflicts of interest: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636091/CC29.pdf

I also suggest the board contact the Charity Commission and ask for advice.
Privacy Policy