Level 4 Synoptic - 69% again - Help!

gemmawwfcgemmawwfc WolverhamptonRegistered Posts: 5
Hi Everyone! :)

I'm re-sitting my Level 4 Synoptic Exam on Friday 13th September (unlucky for some!) after 2 failed attempts. It's a bit frustrating as I'm only 1-2% off each time, and was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me get a few extra marks. I'm also self teaching, so don't have the resources of a college tutor or other students.

I've done the practice papers to the point where I know the answers off the top of my head, and had revised the pre-release material, but found out recently it changes from 1st September, so still have this to go over.

I think I've nailed the ratios, with the help of my flashcards. A lot of people have said that the CBA (Cost Based Analysis) and SWOT Analysis are rather important, but haven't really picked these up in my other modules, so any help on these would be grateful.

:) Thanks all! Gemma xxx

Comments

  • CornishPixieCornishPixie Registered, MAAT, AATQB, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 88
    Have a look at how you scored the last time. That will give you an indication of where you are losing potential marks to take you over the magic 70% and give you the areas that it would be worth concentrating on to make sure that you fully happy with all types of question in those areas. Don't forget to look at the examiner's report which gives information about where students are losing marks. That may give you an idea of where to collect some vital points.

    Know your budgets inside out and make sure you reference the pre-release at every written opportunity, especially if you want to use it to back up some evidence that something would or would not work for the company.

    I used Osborne books and the CBA is given a few pages in the tutorial Accounting systems and controls book. In my version, which I admit is a year old, there is a very clear explanation of CBA on pages 145-147. Don't forget the social responsibility aspect, and ethical considerations - these are all very important and need to be included, particularly if you are asked to justify something.

    As you don't have college support anymore, use the internet. There is a whole host of information / videos on the synoptic which may give you a few extra pointers of where additional marks could be gained.

    I took 4 attempts to get this one, so I feel your pain.

    Good luck on the 13th - unlucky for some BUT lucky for others, and that could be you this time !
    gemmawwfc
  • edsonbeckedsonbeck AAT Student, AATQB Posts: 2
    How did you get your mark so early? I thought the results come out on the 22nd August? It's a tough exam though.
  • Rusty1985Rusty1985 Registered Posts: 51
    edsonbeck said:

    How did you get your mark so early? I thought the results come out on the 22nd August? It's a tough exam though.

    They might be referring to the previous exam. I was sort of hoping a exam result tomorrow, all of my other L4 exams have been after 5 weeks.
    gemmawwfc
  • edsonbeckedsonbeck AAT Student, AATQB Posts: 2
    I'm hoping today. I've received all my other results on a Thursday, even my first attempt on the Synoptic. I'm waiting for my Synoptic resit mark now and if I pass I'm all done and dusted.

    I was just glad the Cost Benefit Analysis question came up that's all I'm saying.

    I know from the 1st September they're changing the pre-release material for the Synoptic - so worse case scenario you're going to have to start from scratch again with something new.

    Fingers crossed!
    Rusty1985
  • Rusty1985Rusty1985 Registered Posts: 51
    Fingers crossed for you. Im waiting too, this is my first attempt and would love to get it done straight away. They are changing the pre-release but if it does, it does. It all comes in the exam anyway.
    gemmawwfc
  • amurrayamurray Feels At Home Registered, AATQB Posts: 191
    Hi Gemma,

    Sorry to hear that you have not been successful on these occasions.....I have always believed that the more we practice and have these set backs the better our attempts are on the next occasion as we have had more time to practice. I found these 2 sets of materials (which I found on a Facebook study support group) really helpful. One of these was written by a previous student who sat the exam twice (first attempt with a pass rate of 74%, however the student then later wanted to achieve a higher pass mark and improved to 88%). IT was a great guide I found. The other document was a powerpoint of some helpful revision tips I found.

    Hope these help, and good luck for next time, you got this! :)
    gemmawwfc
  • gemmawwfcgemmawwfc WolverhamptonRegistered Posts: 5

    Have a look at how you scored the last time. That will give you an indication of where you are losing potential marks to take you over the magic 70% and give you the areas that it would be worth concentrating on to make sure that you fully happy with all types of question in those areas. Don't forget to look at the examiner's report which gives information about where students are losing marks. That may give you an idea of where to collect some vital points.

    Know your budgets inside out and make sure you reference the pre-release at every written opportunity, especially if you want to use it to back up some evidence that something would or would not work for the company.

    I used Osborne books and the CBA is given a few pages in the tutorial Accounting systems and controls book. In my version, which I admit is a year old, there is a very clear explanation of CBA on pages 145-147. Don't forget the social responsibility aspect, and ethical considerations - these are all very important and need to be included, particularly if you are asked to justify something.

    As you don't have college support anymore, use the internet. There is a whole host of information / videos on the synoptic which may give you a few extra pointers of where additional marks could be gained.

    I took 4 attempts to get this one, so I feel your pain.

    Good luck on the 13th - unlucky for some BUT lucky for others, and that could be you this time !

    Thank you so much! I'll definately have a look online and see what I can find. Have printed the pre-release material and examiner report, so will get focused on that first!
  • gemmawwfcgemmawwfc WolverhamptonRegistered Posts: 5
    edsonbeck said:

    I'm hoping today. I've received all my other results on a Thursday, even my first attempt on the Synoptic. I'm waiting for my Synoptic resit mark now and if I pass I'm all done and dusted.

    I was just glad the Cost Benefit Analysis question came up that's all I'm saying.

    I know from the 1st September they're changing the pre-release material for the Synoptic - so worse case scenario you're going to have to start from scratch again with something new.

    Fingers crossed!

    Thanks for your constructive feedback.
    Hope you pass.
  • gemmawwfcgemmawwfc WolverhamptonRegistered Posts: 5
    amurray said:

    Hi Gemma,

    Sorry to hear that you have not been successful on these occasions.....I have always believed that the more we practice and have these set backs the better our attempts are on the next occasion as we have had more time to practice. I found these 2 sets of materials (which I found on a Facebook study support group) really helpful. One of these was written by a previous student who sat the exam twice (first attempt with a pass rate of 74%, however the student then later wanted to achieve a higher pass mark and improved to 88%). IT was a great guide I found. The other document was a powerpoint of some helpful revision tips I found.

    Hope these help, and good luck for next time, you got this! :)

    Thats brilliant! Thank you for sharing those documents.
    I'll be happy with 70% at the min, so will take anything I can get!
    amurray
  • gemmawwfcgemmawwfc WolverhamptonRegistered Posts: 5
    Rusty1985 said:

    Fingers crossed for you. Im waiting too, this is my first attempt and would love to get it done straight away. They are changing the pre-release but if it does, it does. It all comes in the exam anyway.

    It's tough, but we'll get there eventually! I sat it in March and again in June, so fingers crossed for September. It's always a good idea to read the pre-release before the exam, so you aren't wasting any time when you get in there, but it is good that its available to refer to!
  • amurrayamurray Feels At Home Registered, AATQB Posts: 191
    edited August 16
    @gemmawwfc - No worries at all - just sharing what helped me.

    70% is a pass and show competency. My college always reminds me that the examiner is not looking for you to perfect the exam. My attitude has always been a pass is a pass. I passed the Synoptic on the 2nd attempt with 71% - I was more than happy with this result :)

Sign In or Register to comment.