Finding a job with limited experience

zebra246zebra246 Registered Posts: 52
I am 50. I have MAAT status. With no recent nor relevant accounting work experience, do I have any chance of getting a paid position in the accounting field? All jobs ask for experience. I am not prepared to work for free for more than a week.
dumutrobacolls10

Comments

• colls10colls10 Norwich AATQB Posts: 22
    Hi. I’m 45. Due to a change in life, death of parent and having to help care, I decided to re skill. 3 years with Aat. Completed up to and including level 3 with merit . Now taking on level 4 to complete . I too have found it near on impossible to find any paid work . I have banking experience , ran a bistro for a while , but don’t have the experience looked for . It is so sad that we choose to better ourselves or Change path, to hit a wall. I have set up my own sole practitioner bookkeeping practice , website , social media , joined IAB to gain a practice licence , but its hard work , and quite daunting with no real hands on work . Someone’s moto I read on here once was that If no one is prepared to give me a chance , I will do it myself . And it can be done . Let me know how you get on . Don’t give up. Times are changing with cloud accounting and add ons etc that many accountants soon should be wanting to outsource work at least , what with MTD etc . Don’t give up .
    zebra246ashakantaxharma
  • Duchess1Duchess1 MAAT Posts: 56
    I'm in a similar position. Starting to get a few interviews now though. I don't think it is easy, but I don't think it is impossible. Starting pay is quite low though! Good luck.
    ashakantaxharmacolls10
  • ashakantaxharmaashakantaxharma Guwahati, Assam, IndiaRegistered Posts: 9
    Never lose hope and keep yourself updated with latest happenings in your field of expertise.
    Asha Kanta Sharma
    +91-98642-72826
    Guwahati, Assam, India
    colls10