Finding a job with limited experience

zebra246zebra246 Posts: 55Registered
I am 50. I have MAAT status. With no recent nor relevant accounting work experience, do I have any chance of getting a paid position in the accounting field? All jobs ask for experience. I am not prepared to work for free for more than a week.
dumutrobacolls10

Comments

• colls10colls10 Norwich Posts: 22AATQB
    Hi. I’m 45. Due to a change in life, death of parent and having to help care, I decided to re skill. 3 years with Aat. Completed up to and including level 3 with merit . Now taking on level 4 to complete . I too have found it near on impossible to find any paid work . I have banking experience , ran a bistro for a while , but don’t have the experience looked for . It is so sad that we choose to better ourselves or Change path, to hit a wall. I have set up my own sole practitioner bookkeeping practice , website , social media , joined IAB to gain a practice licence , but its hard work , and quite daunting with no real hands on work . Someone’s moto I read on here once was that If no one is prepared to give me a chance , I will do it myself . And it can be done . Let me know how you get on . Don’t give up. Times are changing with cloud accounting and add ons etc that many accountants soon should be wanting to outsource work at least , what with MTD etc . Don’t give up .
    zebra246ashakantaxharma
  • Duchess1Duchess1 Posts: 58MAAT
    I'm in a similar position. Starting to get a few interviews now though. I don't think it is easy, but I don't think it is impossible. Starting pay is quite low though! Good luck.
    ashakantaxharmacolls10
  • ashakantaxharmaashakantaxharma Guwahati, Assam, IndiaPosts: 9Registered
    Never lose hope and keep yourself updated with latest happenings in your field of expertise.
    Asha Kanta Sharma
    +91-98642-72826
    Guwahati, Assam, India
    colls10
  • zebra246zebra246 Posts: 55Registered
    I thought I would provide an update.

2 and a half months on, I have had the same response many times, "I am unable to offer you a role due to your lack of relevant experience. You should seek to obtain at least three months' experience in a particular area. Then you could be considered."

I found a company called 'Direct Placement' through Reed employment agency. They want me to pay them £395 administrative fee and for that I get 12 weeks' remote work experience but no guarantee of a job at the end. They also provide some Sage training but I don't know if this is included in the price. Does anyone have any experience with this company? Sounds a bit iffy to me.
  • Duchess1Duchess1 Posts: 58MAAT
    Sorry but I wouldn't pay any fee to get a placement. I have just done a 6 week contract through a recruitment agency. Basic job, accounts payable. It is not a position I would apply for if it was full time, but it was good experience. If you end up temping for a large organisation, you never know what other job openings there are once you are there. Keep applying, something will turn up eventually. I think it has gone quiet with agency work over the last few weeks. And you are right …. everyone wants people with a few years experience. Rather than going for a particular job, I think be flexible and be willing to take any position in accounts / finance. Keep studying in the meantime.
  • PelikanUKPelikanUK Posts: 10Registered
    zebra246 said:

I thought I would provide an update.

2 and a half months on, I have had the same response many times, "I am unable to offer you a role due to your lack of relevant experience. You should seek to obtain at least three months' experience in a particular area. Then you could be considered."

I found a company called 'Direct Placement' through Reed employment agency. They want me to pay them £395 administrative fee and for that I get 12 weeks' remote work experience but no guarantee of a job at the end. They also provide some Sage training but I don't know if this is included in the price. Does anyone have any experience with this company? Sounds a bit iffy to me.

No those things are a ripoff. They advertise it as a job but what it really is is a training programme you pay them for and that's pretty much it.

My advice would be try reaching out to some local accountants directly and asking them for advice. Demonstrate your eagerness and commitment to the profession given you have persevered despite not finding work and build a relationship.

I'd rather hire a 50-year-old that's reliable, has some work and life experience behind them and get 5-10 solid years out of them than someone straight out of college.
  • zebra246zebra246 Posts: 55Registered
    I turned down the Direct Placement £395 training/placement. The interviewer (in reality sales guy) came across as a pushy South London wide boy, which along with the fact that the 'placement' was remote, led to me thinking other training or placement avenues may be more suited for me and my money could be better spent elsewhere.