Jobs with AAT

Options
I want to go into accounting and have been looking at entry level roles and trainee roles after completing AAT Level 2. However, most of these ask for at least a few years of relevant accounts experience, which I don't have. Is it worth continuing with Level 3 or should I take a break?

Comments

• KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    Options
    Hi @Jammydodger, I was in a very similar position to you - when I started looking for work in this field I had no relevant work experience and only completed level 2.

My advice - yes, it's completely worth carrying straight on into level 3; by maintaining my momentum, I showed potential employers that I was committed to my career plan, and actually I found that interviews came a lot more easily once I completed level 3 as well. When you don't have any relevant experience, you need something to make up for it, and qualifications are the best way I can think of doing that!

(Actually, I got hired the same week I started level 4, it was already paid for and everything. If I hadn't been hired I would still have gone ahead with it anyway to show that I was sticking to my career plan)

I wish you all the luck for 2020!
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • accountaholics
    accountaholics Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    My best advice for you is to go to an accounting firm and have a solid experience for 3 year. As I remember, they do not require any experience to those who are applying and they even recommend fresh grads to apply to their firm. Happy new year to you.
  • Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    My situation was similar. I finished my level 2 and started my level 3. Didn't get much response to applications for about 5 months. I ended up asking a local accountancy firm if I could get some work experience as I was worried about being over qualified and under experienced.

Did the week and then was immediatly hired as a temp which changed to full time at the end of that year.

Get your foot in the door when you hit about 6 months of experience you'll start to be contacted as long as your CV is visable.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Jammydodger,

I agree with the comments raised above in continuing with your Level 3 studies, showing a continued commitment to your studies would be very attractive to any potential future employer. This shows that you dedicated to the profession and are shaping your future career.
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • NewlyQualified
    NewlyQualified Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Jammydodger,

We have a vacancy on www.newlyqualified.co.uk right now for an AAT Level 2 that doesn't require experience. Check it out.
Privacy Policy