Errors on clients accounts - my error!

simonhyett
simonhyett Registered Posts: 4
edited February 2020 in AAT member discussion
:# Hi all
Hoping that I don’t make myself sound to incompetent in this thread, but I have a client who I submitted limited co accounts for for ye 31.5.18. I’ve recently been looking at the 31.5.19 year and have noticed that there are a couple of errors (misposted by myself) in the previous years accounts! The errors relate to a decent chunk of expenses.
Basically in my 15 years of doing the job I haven’t actually had the displeasure as yet of approaching a client with errors that I have made, and was wondering if anyone reading this has been in the same position and can advise on how they approached it and any tips on going about it. I was thinking something along the lines of:
- explain what my mistakes were
- explain how I will correct the error
- apologise
- allow a fees discount/refund
Any constructive input will be really appreciated!

Comments

• colls10
    colls10 Registered Posts: 22
    I would just be honest , that on reflection you feel x y z would have been / should have been better placed in the way of ......., and in your professional opinion , you feel that this should have occurred initially , so you would like to amend this . Has it caused a significant negative effect for client ? If so , look to maybe balance this with a reduced rate for next return or continuing work ? Mistakes happen, it’s how we deal with these professionally and honestly I’d say
  • simonhyett
    simonhyett Registered Posts: 4
    > @colls10 said:
    > I would just be honest , that on reflection you feel x y z would have been / should have been better placed in the way of ......., and in your professional opinion , you feel that this should have occurred initially , so you would like to amend this . Has it caused a significant negative effect for client ? If so , look to maybe balance this with a reduced rate for next return or continuing work ? Mistakes happen, it’s how we deal with these professionally and honestly I’d say

Thank you - much appreciated and helpful
Privacy Policy