Whose sitting the synoptic this week? W.C. 09/03

Options
2»

Comments

• Ducky96
    Ducky96 Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi @Ishrat

Yes exactly, I don't know how AAT judge giving additional marks for linking the pre-release material, I assume it just gives more detail and a better structure to your answer, which in turns gives you the maximum marks.

If something stands out to me in the exam and I can easily link this back to the pre-release material and give an explanation along with this, with regards to how this could be damaging the business or beneficial to the business, then I will add it in and hope that the assessor can see that I have not only included the information from the pre-release material, but also identified how to affects the company.

I have my exam coming up on Thursday too.
  • Ishrat
    Ishrat Registered Posts: 49
    Options
    @Ducky96 Yep, that's the plan refer back to pre release and explain the point further. I have attached analysis of Ruby Dale from Bpp, in case you might find helpful.
    Also I have been reading little here and there about Fashion industry in UK for example how major retailers like Debenhams, BHS, & Karen Millen went ahead and closed the stores in recent time / finding hard to keep up. Consumers habit changing /online shopping is on peak. Even though last time I read all these points but again couldn't write anything as I went blank after seeing the length of the exam/how much we have to do.

All the best for Thursday,
    I will comment to say how I got on.
  • Rletts
    Rletts Registered Posts: 6
    Options
    @kara I sat mine yesterday afternoon and I am a distance learner so do have an educational body with a really good tutor who gave me lots of advice and pointers but hardly any of it I could put to use as the questions were just so different to what we had covered! I am just hoping I have done enough to pass I don't care if I only get 70% I will take that one. Fingers crossed we get there x
  • Ducky96
    Options
    Thank You @Ishrat I am self studying using old resources and just what AAT provides, so I will give them a read, might actually help me, also all the best to you on Thursday, hopefully we Ace it!
  • kitty765
    kitty765 Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi everyone, check out the AAT extra videos if you haven't already https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTAN8GYX3TQ this has really helped me.
    It is hard to know what the examiner is looking for and this really helped. "Imagine you are the manager of the company or Imagine this is your own company," What needs to be improved to make the buisness as sucessful as possible? What indicators can be used to ensure that the business is running well?
  • tomstrong96
    tomstrong96 Registered Posts: 19
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Comment removed

[A Contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise]
  • Rletts
    Options
    @tomstrong96 yes this also baffled me as well I knew how to do it just wasn’t sure what was expected in the boxes so just did as much detail as I could!
  • tomstrong96
    tomstrong96 Registered Posts: 19
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Comment removed

[A Contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise]
  • Ducky96
    edited March 2020
    Options

Comment removed

• salma1
    salma1 Registered Posts: 8
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Comment removed

• fedemenni
    fedemenni Registered Posts: 93
    Options
    Bit scared about this exam now... coronavirus has been in my mind for the last 2 weeks.. have the exam on Saturday and don't feel ready at all! Any tips or anything that will certainly come out on the exam?
  • Ishrat
    Options
    Hi @tomstrong96 hope your exam went well. Which question had limiting factor and was it long written question, how many marks?

I'm guessing it must be question 4 with relation to decision making process.
    Thanks
  • Ishrat
    Options
    @fedemenni same here this coronavirus has been everywhere you can't just simply ignore it n really scary. With rapidly growing numbers in UK is very daunting. It's like what is the jump today. Every day is getting worst.
    Try to concentrate as much possible with your studies, I think I have got to the point now I just want to do the exam and get over it. Mine is tomorrow so the wait is not too long.
    Just keep the revision going.
    All the very best.
  • aroonaz
    aroonaz Registered Posts: 51
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Comment removed

• aroonaz
    aroonaz Registered Posts: 51
    Options
    like which things can affect trial balance total
  • Rletts
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Comment removed

• lollywithay
    lollywithay Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    Any tips for exam tomorrow:S
  • Fee2019
    Fee2019 Registered Posts: 25
    Options
    What people have been tested on in the exam is very unlike what other people will be tested on. The way the questions are worded are extremely awkward and very difficult to understand - always expect the unexpected!!
  • Ishrat
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @lollywithay for question 4 (just note few key notes) like non financial decisions which will help. Also know your relevant and irrelevant costs.

Questions 2) know the standard costing. From a, b or c. Some where you should be mentioning
    I had to analyse the budget / against actuals. Know your variances well. E.g. Fixed costs shouldn't be amended. What is the reason for variable cost being so different.

Content removed:

Question 3) weakness. Just highlight the weakness and explain your point. I noticed as much this question is simple I spend so much time on this question, as I ending up writing so much ?. If I have to resit exam next time, I'm going to keep this question for last.

All the very best
  • Ishrat
    Options
    I wonder if anyone knows? Do you get marks for the spelling / if it's mistake does your marks gets taken out?

I did write well for question 3 and 4 and shouldn't have spelling mistakes , but for question 2 mainly 6. I run out of time, I was typing so fast so I don't leave any questions incomplete. But I could actually see mistakes in the spelling. But I didn't had a time to go back to correct anything. I submit the paper less than 30 seconds! ?.
  • meniaduda
    meniaduda Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    I had my exam yesterday and it was awful... all the practice questions/examples are pretty much the same so you kind of think the exam will be similar... but not, i got some alien questions. I truly think there is not enough time as well, there is lots of reading, analysing, writing and on top of that all the calculations. This exam is not student friendly at all.... ho hum might be booking my next one soon...
  • salma1
    Options
    Hi @Ishrat thank you for pointing out task 4, 6, 2 and 3.
    Can you please confirm if task 5 has dropdown analysis or you have write to explain the ratios?
    I've the exam tomorrow taking it for second time, I got 59% first time in November last year ?
  • Ishrat
    Options
    Hey @salma1 this was my second time. I had 60% first time. It seems we both were on same line.
    This time question 5 was simpler than last time. Last time it was nightmare, I had significantly below marks. It was so long and plus I had to explain/ do further calculations. This time I didn't had much trouble.
    All the best. Just don't be nervous. This time I was relaxed more but did got a bit panic at the end, when I was running out of the time.
  • salma1
    Options
    True we are in similar line difference by 1%lol..
    I can remember from last time task 5 I had to do the calculations and write explaination and got borderline for it. I was significantly below and failed on task 2 and 4.
    I hope tomorrow morning goes okay really nervous done two test on AAT and getting 75 and 80 Mark's.
  • Ishrat
    Options
    That's great, all the best. I'm sure you'll be fine. One piece of advice try to use their scenario it gives away answers to have a good start off . We just need to develop further, this would be the case for question 2, 3, 6. At times 4 as well.
    I had below requirement for 2, 4 & 5. Lool which I thought 2 & 5 I did brilliant at that time. I spent 45 minutes on question 2 last time to get below requirement. I was thinking to myself that I wrote soo much, definitely it must have been pointless that I only achieved this many marks .
    Hope it goes well for you. @salma1
  • fedemenni
    fedemenni Registered Posts: 93
    Options
    Is still Ruby Dell as prereleased materials? How did you all find the exams this week?
  • Ducky96
    Options
    Hey @Ishrat how do you think it went yesterday?

My exam was quite difficult I only finished with 30 seconds left as well, there is definitely not enough time to write as in detail and with a good structure, as you are rushing just to get the relevant point down.

The budget question I had for question 2 didn't have another budget to compare it too, just the current years budgeted results, which I was not expecting, this also made it difficult to evaluate how effective the planning assumptions would be, as I didn't have the previous years results.

Questions 6 wasn't too bad it was a SWOT x 2, and improvements to the system and how this benefits the business, the only problem with this task is it takes a long time to read all the information and type it out while backing up why you have chosen each point.

Question 1 Internal controls and accounting systems was nothing like the practice assessments, you basically have to cover every aspect of accounting through to how a business is structured, as well as ethics.

Overall I think the exam went better than my previous attempt, I linked some of my answers back to pre-release material and answered basically everything, but its too difficult to say if I will achieve the 70% minimum.
  • GaryMore2
    GaryMore2 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    So turned up for my Level 2 Synoptic this morning only to be told I couldn't sit it. Apparently myself and 1 other from my college class have a problem with our AAT subscription meaning we couldn't be booked on. We've had no correspondence regarding a problem and we've both been logged into AAT every day this week revising. That's 2 weeks of solid revision wasted. Apparently we have been booked in again for 2 weeks time which means studying UCAS and revising synoptic at the same time. Fuming.....
  • barbs
    barbs Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi all, thank you for all the tips and overall experience. Tomorrow is my second attempted for level 4 synoptic exam, for my first one I got 63% :/
    I went through pre-release materials and system controls. I passed lately Finacial Statements and Budgeting, so hopefully all the knowledge is still there.
    Good luck for everyone :)
  • Ishrat
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Hello @Ducky96, you absolutely right I felt the allocated timing is not fair. First time I gave benefit of the doubt thinking I was not prepared and was not expecting and I panicked. But this time I was more prepared and wasn't nervous as much. But there is no way you can write a good answer with the time you have a on hand. You ending up writing anything n start to waffle because of the time pressure. My question 2 wasn't bad, this time I would say it was easier than last time. But problem was I didn't had enough time to write a good answer. I'm feeling it might be a close or I'll be lucky if I can scrap through.

Ohh yes. Question 1 lool I did some guess work on this. Apart from obvious few answers rest was all new, honestly this question I don't prepare as much because you just don't know what they would ask you. Since its multiple choice then I should be able to remove obvious wrong answers n go for the ones I think it would be correct.

All the best. Hoping we get through this time Otherwise Ruby Dale one more time ?. I feel like I know this business inside out now. It feels like this shop operating in real?.
Privacy Policy