Coronavirus - How will it effect our exams/qualifications and studies?

Hi,

I was just wondering what everyone has heard/been told about vocational exams and results in the current pandemic? I am studying for my Professional Diploma in AAT (Level 4), I was due to take my financial statement exam at the end of march and my personal tax at the middle of June, obviously the march one was missed and it is up in the air regarding the June one.

I know the government have made a concrete decision on GCSEs and A Levels regarding cancellation this year but I have yet seen any information regarding the awarding of vocational exams even though it was said this would be looked into after Easter which is now nearly a month ago? I understand this is a fast moving situation but equally feel a bit annoyed that the decision has been made so final with GCSE/A levels and yet all other qualifications are in the balance?

I am e-learning from the college I study through which is going well, but can't help feeling a little lost as I don't know if I'm studying towards an exam in June/won't be taking any exams/will have a delay in my course.

Can anyone else expand on what their own course tutors have informed them regarding the awarding of exams or what they personally have found out. I understand there has been a statement on the AAT website regarding the awarding of average grades etc saying they won't be able to do this however I honestly can't understand why? If they can do it for GCSEs would it not make more sense doing it for the current modules students are studying and resume exams when we can whenever that may be in the future. Who knows if by September social distancing will be gone or still around?

Just feeling a little confused and lacking motivation to no end goal if I'm honest.

Any information would be of help, thanks.

Comments

• AAT_Team
    AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 🤖 Admin 🤖
    @Peaci123 Thanks for your comment. We understand your concerns with your studies but please know we are exploring all of the options we can to support our members. You will have received and email yesterday with a video from AAT CEO Mark Farrar which explains the current situation and what we are doing in more detail. I've shared it below as it will answer your questions.

• thelowendtheory18
    thelowendtheory18 Registered Posts: 298 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    stay positive and take advantage of any extra time you have due to the virus to study, have you got the resources to study from home???

I was supposed to sit my decision and control exam at the end of March but couldn't due to the virus, I'm a home learner, so in this time i'm managed to get exam ready for one of my optional units (External Auditing) so i now have 2 units were i'm pretty much good to go

AAT

Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting - 30 Nov 18
    Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting - 16 Oct 19
    Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jul 21
  • Oni
    Oni Registered Posts: 6
    Peaci123 - I totally understand where you are coming from and feel the same. I am getting so many mixed messages from my course provider (Kaplan) that I don't know if I am coming or going and whether I need to find some motiviation to revise for an exam in June or not (rescheduled from a cancelled March exam).
    My other frustration is, this is the final module to pass before taking the PDSY. I should have studied this module first, but Kaplan made an error on my account which took them four months to resolve. Since then I have been playing catch-up permanently throughout my course. I should have taken this exam in December 2018, so am running out of time to get this nailed.
    I have had to fight for everything with them, including getting an extension to my module access. Considering I should have taken the exam in March, I don't see why I should be penalised or out of pocket simply because I couldn't take my exam due to C-19.
    I am so frustrated. As you say I appreciate its a fast moving situation and nobody's fault, but even when I rang student services they couldn't give me a clear answer.

I am lucky in the fact that I am able to work full-time at home, but this makes it equally hard to find time and motivation to 'take advantage' of extra time. I probably have less time due to the pandemic than I had before!
    Don't want to moan, but just feeling a bit fed-up with it all.......
  • rosieobrien
    rosieobrien Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    I just thought I would share this on the forums in case anyone finds it useful
    EMA Training ( based in Derby City Centre, DE1 2PW ) are opening 6 days a week during July 2020 to support with the AAT assessment sittings, please read :

https://www.ematraining.co.uk/exam-online-booking

for more info please pm me or email/phone us via our website?
Privacy Policy