Wait for AAT to restart exams, or swap to CIMA?

Options
SJFRVN
SJFRVN Registered Posts: 3
Hi,
I am currently waiting to sit my AAT level 3 synoptic. The uncertainty of when exams will start again is unsettling, and I feel like I'm falling behind on my career plan. Although I really wanted to finish AAT completely I'm now considering starting CIMA at certificate level instead, as at least I could sit exams and move forward. My plan was to move to CIMA after AAT anyway.
Would love to hear any thoughts or opinions, as I really don't know what to do for the best.

Comments

• David Ballantyne
    David Ballantyne Registered Posts: 105 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    What you could do is start CIMA and then once you have got to a certain point with CIMA, apply for membership of AAT if you still wanted to. This can be a useful option if your CIMA studies stall for some reason.

I did this. Originally, I started CIMA with no intention of joining AAT. Once I got to CIMA Advanced Diploma level my CIMA studies stalled. I checked out AAT and discovered that with my CIMA Advanced Diploma and the work experience I had I could apply to join without doing AAT exams. I did have to do a very basic level 2 test in basic bookkeeping to prove that I did know my bookkeeping.

If you were fully qualified with CIMA, if you wished, you could join AAT directly as a full member.

This is the relevant page on the AAT website: https://www.aat.org.uk/membership/aat-professional-membership/join-aat-from-another-professional-body
    David Ballantyne
    Connect with me on LinkedIn!
    Ballantyne Accountants
  • fedemenni
    fedemenni Registered Posts: 93
    Options
    SJFRVN said:

Hi,

I am currently waiting to sit my AAT level 3 synoptic. The uncertainty of when exams will start again is unsettling, and I feel like I'm falling behind on my career plan. Although I really wanted to finish AAT completely I'm now considering starting CIMA at certificate level instead, as at least I could sit exams and move forward. My plan was to move to CIMA after AAT anyway.

Would love to hear any thoughts or opinions, as I really don't know what to do for the best.

it is bit uncertain when the exams will start again but I am pretty sure they will work out a way very soon- tomorrow the government is going to release a plan for exiting lockdown so I believe AAT will come out with more info.

Is this your last exam for Lv3? Bear in mind that CIMA has set window for sitting exams and it is not as flexible as AAT. If CIMA is what you would like to have as qualification I would suggest to check their minimum requirements to start the qualification and take it from there..
  • David Ballantyne
    Options
    "CIMA has a set window for sitting exams" - if you mean that you have to pass all your exams within a set time frame, e.g. 5 years, then this cannot be true because I have been a CIMA student since 1996 and they are still trying to persuade me to complete.

"not as flexible at AAT" - what do you mean? In regards to what?

Minimum entry requirements - I believe that there are no set entry requirements to study the CIMA certificate level qualification. There is certainly no mention of entry requirements on the website https://www.cimaglobal.com/Qualifications/cert-ba/
    David Ballantyne
    Ballantyne Accountants
  • fedemenni
    Options

"CIMA has a set window for sitting exams" - if you mean that you have to pass all your exams within a set time frame, e.g. 5 years, then this cannot be true because I have been a CIMA student since 1996 and they are still trying to persuade me to complete.

"not as flexible at AAT" - what do you mean? In regards to what?

Minimum entry requirements - I believe that there are no set entry requirements to study the CIMA certificate level qualification. There is certainly no mention of entry requirements on the website https://www.cimaglobal.com/Qualifications/cert-ba/

In terms of exams: with AAT you can do exams almost every month for any subject apart from Synoptics which are in fixed timetables. With CIMA and ACCA you have scheduled timetables for any exam. Like CIMA they have exams in May then exam in August, November etc with AAT you have exams almost every month. For CIMA schedule: https://www.cimaglobal.com/Studying/Exams/Exam-timetable/

If SJFRVN needs to decide whether moving onto CIMA straight away because of no exams available with AAT currently the first exams that he/she can sit with CIMA would be early August or even November. By that time I think AAT would have sorted out something for exams. If Synoptics is the last exam for level 3 I would personally do that then move onto CIMA or level 4. Based on personal experience level 4 is much harder than level 3 and CIMA even more harder level 4..
  • David Ballantyne
    Options
    The CIMA Certificate offers "On-demand, computer based assessments available all year."

Each level in the Professional qualification is three objective tests plus a case study. Objective tests can be sat every month and there are four fixed date sittings for the case study each year. Seems very similar to AAT.

I agree that it would probably be wise to complete AAT Level 3 before moving on to CIMA.
    David Ballantyne
    Ballantyne Accountants
  • fedemenni
    edited May 2020
    Options

The CIMA Certificate offers "On-demand, computer based assessments available all year."

Each level in the Professional qualification is three objective tests plus a case study. Objective tests can be sat every month and there are four fixed date sittings for the case study each year. Seems very similar to AAT.

I agree that it would probably be wise to complete AAT Level 3 before moving on to CIMA.

ok, I didn't know about that! Didn't check properly the website :) I agree on finishing level 3 first :)
  • SJFRVN
    Options
    Thank you very much. Lots to consider
  • rosieobrien
    rosieobrien Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    **GREAT NEWS FOR AAT LEARNERS WAITING TO SIT AAT ASSESSMENTS** - For a limited period only, students will be able to claim 'recognised prior learning' for any units (excluding synoptic assessments, units that are only assessed as part of a synoptic assessment, and single unit qualifications) to a maximum of 50% of the qualification. This standard restriction will be re-applied when the assessments are reinstated. PM me with your email address and I can send you the guide I have downloaded from AAT.

Unsure if this is specifically helpful to your situation, but worth a look?
  • SJFRVN
    Options
    Thank you. Sadly it is only the synoptic I am waiting on for level 3, so it does not help my situation ☹️
  • rosieobrien
    rosieobrien Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I just thought I would share this on the forums in case anyone finds it useful
    EMA Training ( based in Derby City Centre, DE1 2PW ) are opening 6 days a week during July 2020 to support with the AAT assessment sittings, please read :

https://www.ematraining.co.uk/exam-online-booking

for more info please pm me or email/phone us via our website?
Privacy Policy