Home For accounting professionals AAT member discussion (AATQB, MAAT, FMAAT and AAT Licensed Accountants and Bookkeepers)

Tax avoidance schemes

Help, my employer has taken on new clients that have previously used a tax avoidance scheme, the previous accountant “disappeared”. The accounts are overdue and my employer wants me to do the accounts which I am not comfortable with. I am the sole accountant. The scheme used was a loan scheme. DOTAS refers to the promoter and user to Disclose the scheme which would then be investigated and arrangement for tax to be paid. I can’t find anywhere how to account for the income/outgoings in the actual accounts. Do I treat as income and dividends. Do I report the scheme? Any help is much appreciated

Comments

• NeillawNeillaw New Member RossendaleMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 279
    Are you in practice?
    I would first seek advice from your employer as this is his client, it could also get really messy when it's not your client.
  • ak1ak1 MAAT Posts: 4
    I agree, it could get really messy and not something I want to be involved with so have gone back to my employer. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.