Send Help

Hi All,

Sitting my synoptic for the first time in August. I started my level 4 exams in 2017 and I had a really tough time with them. I have 8 years experience in practice accounting but for some reason the level assessments have crippled me. I lost my stepdad in 2017 so that set me back a little bit. My problem is that some of my exams I passed over 2 years ago and I have forgotten absolutely everything about them. Does anyone have any advice from sitting it recently on what to expect? I know that there's no way of predicting what is guaranteed to come up but every little helps

Comments

• Emmalouise18
    Emmalouise18 Registered Posts: 237 Dedicated contributor 🦉

Hi All,

Sitting my synoptic for the first time in August. I started my level 4 exams in 2017 and I had a really tough time with them. I have 8 years experience in practice accounting but for some reason the level assessments have crippled me. I lost my stepdad in 2017 so that set me back a little bit. My problem is that some of my exams I passed over 2 years ago and I have forgotten absolutely everything about them. Does anyone have any advice from sitting it recently on what to expect? I know that there's no way of predicting what is guaranteed to come up but every little helps

Hello,

The synoptic exam is based on Budgeting/ Financial Statements / Decision and Control then Accounting systems and controls.

When I revised for this, I went back and got all the text books out for the above 4 topics. I did a revision plan and revised a different topic each day.

I bought the BPP Synoptic question bank book as this is amazing!! Its well worth buying, and if you buy it direct from BPP you get an account with access to loads of different questions etc.

Its a very very tough exam, lots of written questions and you need to manage time efficiently also.

Practice your written questions = go back to budgeting and revise the master budget question/ go to decision and control and practice variances and the variance written question/ practice Activity based costing and the written part to that. Practice 'make or buy' questions also.

I did auditing just before the synoptic which helped massively aswell. Look at auditing on MyAAT and go through some of their questions.

Practice your ratios and how to write about them, what does each ratio mean for the business?

Its best to leave yourself a few months to revise for this, and pass than to rush into it and fail it.

Let me know if you need any further advice/help :)
  • ShallowHartley
    ShallowHartley Registered Posts: 5
    Hi Emma,

Thanks so much for this. Looks like I really am going to have to go back to square 1 with it all! Variance and ABC were 2 of the things that just went straight over my head unfortunately
  • Emmalouise18

Hi Emma,

Thanks so much for this. Looks like I really am going to have to go back to square 1 with it all! Variance and ABC were 2 of the things that just went straight over my head unfortunately

Hello,

Unfortunately the Synoptic exam is heavily based on decision and control yes :(

I will message you all my tips/ pointers now, hope that will make things more clear for you.

Thank you,

Emma
  • alichasumner
    alichasumner Registered Posts: 1
    Hi Emma, I’ve noticed you’ve been very helpful to students. Are you able to send me level 4 synoptic notes / tips please? I am doing the synoptic in August will my third time lucky. Thank you ?
  • Emmalouise18

Hi Emma, I’ve noticed you’ve been very helpful to students. Are you able to send me level 4 synoptic notes / tips please? I am doing the synoptic in August will my third time lucky. Thank you ?

Messaged you :)
Privacy Policy