Careers advice (AAT 4 or uni Accounting & Finance degree?)

Options
dannf1
dannf1 Registered Posts: 4
Dear All
I would be very grateful for some comments/opinion/careers advice.
I have received a conditional placement to start at uni in September on BSc Accounting & Finance degree (full-time). I have completed AAT Levels 2 and 3. I have some experience as a bookkeeper working as a finance offer for a parish council and will be looking to apply for AATQB status on a self-employed basis to bring in an income during my uni studies. I have recently started helping an MAAT accountant who is a sole practitioner, doing bookkeeping work, which he supervises and signs off.
I am wondering whether I would be better off doing AAT Level 4 than the university course and now that I am working with a practicing MAAT accountant, I would be in a strong position to have my work supervised and be able to apply for a full practicing licence of my own in 12-18 months' time.
Also, if after Level 4 I opted for ACCA or CTA how would I in fact go about chartered status, as I understand that after completing the qualifications you also need to marry that up with supervision. How do sole practitioners gain the supervision element in order to attain chartered status?
Thank you for your help.
Daniel

Comments

• MissFinance
    MissFinance Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Dannf1 personally I would always choose AAT over a degree course, this is simply because when studying AAT as long as you can get work experience then you are putting those skills into practice. You can then study towards ACA or ACCA after you have completed the AAT course, alternatively go to university then do it but you can save good time by just completing AAT level 4 :) You can only gain chartered status with the ICAEW ACA course, ACCA is the Association of Certified Accountants.
  • MissFinance
    MissFinance Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    If you want to ask any more career advice or to contact me directly you can do so either through my facebook study group https://www.facebook.com/groups/550109758357015 or through my Youtube channel "Miss Finance" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcKTck65QaXAWhgs-OLzpLg always happy to help x
  • dannf1
    dannf1 Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    That's really helpful - thank you very much.
    I am now considering undertaking both... It may be a very busy year! I would like to work towards a degree for personal achievement, but in the same respect I like the practical element of AAT.
Privacy Policy