Annual Investment Allowance Change???

Options
jmall99
jmall99 Registered Posts: 2
Hi,

I have my business tax exam on Wednesday. When I started studying the course I printed the reference material FA2020 for exams from January 2021, the taxation tables in this reference material matched the one in my BPP books; however I've just tried the mock exams on the AAT website and the reference material has changed. So in taxation tables it used to have an annual investment allowance of £200,000 from Jan 2021, now its been removed, so it now says from Jan 2019 onwards is £1,000,000.

What figures should I use, as will change the capital allowance answer?

Comments

• Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hey

It can be awkward when working between exam switches. I had to do it on my VAT at Level 3.

The best thing to do in this case, as it is a given value, is to use whatever is in the exam reference material since you don't have to memorize the figures.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • Chiccoboy
    Chiccoboy Registered Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi There, I am also seating my exams in March or April but have got the FA2019 books, would it be correct in assuming that I will be encountering similar problems? Would I need to buy the FA2020? :)
  • Pian32
    Options
    You probably will. You might not need the whole book but I would see if you can find a differences guide.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • Chiccoboy
    Options
    Hi There, that's really helpful and thanks for checking if there is a differences guide. Cheers
  • Pian32
    Options
    @jmall99 When searching for something else I came across a change to the FA2020 due to an extention on the AIA rules. This means you will probably have the £1,000,000 rule. Still if in doubt just use the figures given in the exam (I always double checked these and since they change you'll regularly be checking the current rules when doing the work.)

@Chiccoboy I seem to remember there was a differences sheet in the AAT resources when I had that problem but only for the first part of the year.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • Chiccoboy
    Options
    Thanks for your assistance with my enquiry.
  • AbbySpence
    AbbySpence Registered Posts: 11
    Options
    I have had exactly the same problem. The reference material on the AAT website does not refer to the change back to 200,000 as at January 2021 but my BPP book does. I think it's safer just to stick with what is provided in the AAT material!
Privacy Policy