Decision & Control

Options
Hi Everyone,

This will be my 4th attempt at the decision and control unit :( I'm struggling a lot with the Standard Costing element and variances...

Any advice would be appreciated. At the moment, I'm looking at BPP Practice Assessment 2: Task 1 and it's like a foreign language!!

Comments

• Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I'd start by looking back at your Budgeting material for the variances as they cover the material and labour ones. I haven't got the BPP books so can't really help with the question.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22
  • PeterC
    PeterC Registered, Tutor Posts: 245 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    See if this helps: go to New Encyclopaedia of Accounting and select "Standard Costing and Variances"
  • Jay36598
    Jay36598 Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @gdhillon - Don't let the past affect you. Change your approach and attack again.

First thing, don't rush it. Seems like your barrier might be the foundational clarity on basic concepts. In that case, it's worth spending time in going back to basics.

Standard costing links to variance analysis and that's where a lot of students initially struggle to get their grips.

The video at the bottom of the page here is quite useful. But, for variance analysis, simply reading through the text or watching course videos doesn't cut it. You have to develop your own deep knowledge of things, e.g., why actual costs are deducted from standard costs, how each of them are calculated differently for direct labour or materials or for indirect overheads, and then what is really meant by efficiency rate of an overhead absorption, etc.

The manner in which assessments are structured, you have to really know the in and out workings of the variances.

Basically, you have to spend at least 4-5 days if you're studying on your own to come up with your own knowledge and understanding, write it all down, analyse, then re-write it summarily. This way you will develop your own logical "system" of working variances out. Once you put in the hard work to figure it all out, trust me, all of the fog goes away and you can see it all with clearity.
    AAT Student Member, 2021
    L2 (93%), L3 (90%), L4 (on-going)
Privacy Policy