Backdated VAT Registration

Options
THammond
THammond Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
My client's VAT Registration has been backdated to February 2022. I am aware that we can claim the VAT on his expenses from that date. Do we have to amend sales invoices to include VAT (this will obviously result in him losing money as he didn't charge his clients VAT and can't now go back and ask them for more money)

Comments

• douglasstroud
    douglasstroud Registered Posts: 295 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    What do you mean it has been backdated, did HMRC do this or did you or the client?
  • THammond
    Options
    HMRC backdated it
  • douglasstroud
    Options
    Well then it must have been because he had breached the threshold and not registered, so yes he will need to pay the VAT on all his sales at the appropriate rate from that date, what type of business is it? If his clients are VAT registered he might be able to reissue the invoices with VAT as they can claim it back.
  • THammond
    Options
    He does property maintenance and sadly his clients aren't VAT registered
  • douglasstroud
    Options
    That is the importance of keeping a check of the rolling 12 month turnover so that when the VAT threshold is breached the client is aware and registration can be applied for, otherwise a costly mistake to make.
  • THammond
    Options
    Unfortunately he only approached me a few months ago. Thank you for your advice
  • douglasstroud
    Options
    No problems, also have a look at the rules regarding claiming back VAT on goods bought up to 4 years before registration and services up to 6 months before, these may help in reducing the amount to repay.
Privacy Policy