Mileage allowance

Options
lcoupe
lcoupe Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
I think I know the answer to this but not a scenario I’ve come across before…

I have a client who is a painter and decorator, whilst doing his self assessment I noticed he had no travel costs. When asked he doesn’t drive and his partner drives him around to his jobs.

Can he still claim 45p per mile? If not is there any travel costs that he can claim?

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• douglasstroud
    douglasstroud Registered Posts: 295 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    What do you mean by ‘partner’?
  • lcoupe
    lcoupe Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Sorry I wasn’t very clear with that, partner as in wife / girlfriend.
  • douglasstroud
    douglasstroud Registered Posts: 295 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Cant see a problem with claiming the expenses, although it may be difficult to work out the business mileage from past jobs unless he has a record of them.
  • RAKTHER
    RAKTHER Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi lcoupe,
    Without the past record of mileage it is quite difficult to claim 45p per mile but I think he can add travelling cost as an expense by which he can reduce his taxable income.

RAKTHER
    Training Coordinator, Osborne Training.
  • WarrenJAllen
    WarrenJAllen Registered Posts: 22 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I would be very cautious about claiming for any mileage that he hasn’t legitimately accrued.

The HMRC mileage allowances are to simplify claiming the costs of running your vehicle. If he hasn’t incurred running/fuel costs then it seems to me that it wouldn’t be sensible to claim mileage.

If he has instead paid his partner a reasonable sum to be transported to and from jobs then I would argue that cost could be claimed in its entirety.
Privacy Policy