Next steps

Options
Tanya0997
Tanya0997 Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
I completed CIMA and beame a member through an apprenticeship but I feel like I'm in limbo at the moment. I'm hoping to gain some advice and your thoughts. I apologise for the long read.

I came to England in 2016 after finishing high school, excited to start uni. But I wasn't eligible for student finance so I decided to defer my start dates for a couple of years. During that time, I worked in retail as a sales assistant and started going to college. I did AAT L4 during 2016-17, and I went for a foundation degree in Business management during 2017-19.

My direction changed a bit when I completed AAT, I thought I would have a foot in the door in some companies to gain some practical experience rather than going to uni - so I started applying for jobs, offered to volunteer, went through recruiter, but none of my efforts paid off.

I was still working in retail at that time, and in 2018, I was promoted to work in the back office where I would handle the cash, and prepare the floats. I added that experience to my CV. Nothing changed for a while until a recruiter reached out to me about an apprenticeship opportunity and I jumped at it! I had my interview not long after, and was able to secure the job.

After I completed my foundation degree course, I enrolled onto CIMA. I wasn't aware at the time that having done AAT, I was eligible for exemptions so instead of starting at Certificate level as previously indicated by the vacancy, I started woth Operational. I worked really hard, got the experience I needed over the years.

Fast forward to now, with CIMA under my belt, surprisingly I don't feel very confident in my abilities. At my workplace, I still feel like I'm doing entry level work, there are some gaps on the basics (maybe because I didn't work in practice), and my salary increase wasn't really as good as I was expecting considering what's being offered in the market. So I've been applying for jobs to see how I would fare, with the experience I have now, I would expect something to have come up but there's nothing. A lot of jobs being advertised are part qualified level, but I don't feel like I have the experience needed (management accounting)

It's embarrassing to say, but I'm lacking direction, and I feel overwhelmed. Maybe I was complacent and wasn't proactive enough in gaining the more basic experience where I currently am?

Perhaps I shouldn't have expected receiving the guidance from management but rather pushed for it. Maybe I applied for membership too soon? What do I need to do or say to start getting jobs that are on my level? Even if I don't have the exact experience required, how do I show that my skills are transferable? How do I show I'm willing to put in the work without sounding agressive and pushy? Maybe I'm out of my depth and need to move back to retail?

Comments

• shamilkaria
    shamilkaria Registered Posts: 70 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi @Tanya0997

You are fully qualified which great that is in your favour. You are applying for jobs but feel you dont have the confidence in doing some of the duties. One thing I was taught was if you can do over half of the duties listed on a job advert then I would apply for it because you will get training and can learn on the job. No one is perfect and that is how you build confidence. I know how you feel because I am in a similar situation haha lack of confidence. For you I would suggest look at a Assistant Management Accountant role or Assistant Financial Accountant role, this is the next step from where you are. These roles will give you the confidence you need. Trust me, once you see the work it is not as complicated as you make it out to be. If you are able to complete all your studies and become chartered then work place wont be any issue, once you see it you will notice it isnt that bad. Just be confident and apply to it let them know that you are willing to learn, passionate, yes you dont have the practical experience but are willing to learn and ensure to be an asset to the business over the years.

I hope it works out for you

Kind regards

Sham
  • Tanya0997
    Options
    Hi @shamilkaria, thank you! I definitely should have a little kore faith in myself. I kean how else would I get the experience if I don't actually do the job? I will keep applying amd hopefully all works out. Thanks again 😊
  • shamilkaria
    Options
    Hi @Tanya0997

Trust me believe in yourself. I am the same don't worry I don't believe much in myself haha.

The only way you will get experience is if you are working in accounts. Speak to your manager or senior and ask them could you get involved in the accounts prep or management accounts. You need to have a chat with them and let them know you are interested in taking the next step. Worst case scenario is no and you continue doing your current job and look for something else or best case is they give you an opportunity.

No worries most welcome, happy to help you out in your job search if you want as I am in a similar situation haha

Kind regards

Sham
  • Tanya0997
    Options
    @shamilkaria thank you so much! I think every time I had the discussion with manager I'd be asked what it is that I wanted to do and I'd say I'm open to anything! Which left me with nothing new being assigned to me and my colleagues getting more tasks assigned to them. Maybe they were clearer about their intentions.
    I would like to take you up on that offer of helping with job search! I feel like 5 years with no evident progression is too long a time to spend in a company. But I suppose I was staying to finish my apprenticeship. I think it's time to look for something new.
  • shamilkaria
    Options
    Hi @Tanya0997

When your manager asks what you want to do try to specify that you wish to do management accounts for example try to specify that you wish to get more involved into the management / operational side not just transactional accounting. So you wish to prepare the management accounts and explain them, get involved in accruals, prepayments, deferred income etc.

Unfortunately because it was mentioned that you are open to anything they couldn't specify what to give you without sounding harsh. You could be right that they were clear what they wanted.

I am happy to help you find a role, but I would suggest speaking to your manager and letting them know the jobs you wish to do. If they are unable to give them to you then I would consider moving as there is no room for progression.

Where are you based if you don't mind me asking, London, Birmingham etc?

Many thanks

Sham
  • Tanya0997
    Options
    Hi @shamilkaria, thank you! I'll work on this. I suppose I feel slightly let down because there should have been a career path in place at the company which the manager admitted to. However, I know that I have to start thinking about what's best for me and start taking action rather than wait for someone to decide my fate, so I'll make a plan. I feel embarrassed to even admit that I'm thinking of this now. I really appreciate your feedback 😊
    I'm based in SE England, near London.
  • shamilkaria
    Options
    Hi @Tanya0997

Unfortunately sometimes companies will promise one thing and after over time it changes.

That's a positive start, speak to them if nothing gets done then you know what to do. Don't feel embarrassed even I took ages, you are qualified etc I am still working on my qualifications. I just worked for years rather than qualifying. I do regret that because it has caused alot of issues but I believe I'll get there as I've put a plan in place too.

Thanks I'll see if I know any recruiters around there but close to London is tough to get a job plus I don't know many recruiters that end. If you were in the midlands then might have sent you some over but I'm sure we will get there.

Your challenge to take the next step mine is get AAT done then look at a proper management accountant role or something related haha

Kind regards

Sham
Privacy Policy