Posts in weird order

Cortez
Cortez Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi

I've only signed up on here today and have been posting in the PEV thread and have noticed that posts aren't always oldest first (and I've made sure older first is selected in options).

For example in this thread - http://www.aat.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16496

Post #15 was posted at 15:42 and quotes #16 which was posted at 15:46. So somehow post #16 was quoted 4 minutes before it was made. How can this be?

It's not the only instance either and it makes threads somewhat hard to follow. Is it fixable?

Comments

• Simon Smith
    Simon Smith Banned User Posts: 46 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Cortez,

I'll look into what may be causing this to happen and let you know once I have some more information.

Thanks
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I think it is to do when someone presses reply. If you look at the threads in hybrid or the threaded as opposed to linear display they make more sense but it is difficult to find posts that you haven't read.

I'm struggling with working out the best way to display them too!
  • Simon Smith
    Hi,

This has now been fixed.

The reason for the problem was due to our delivery servers having slightly different time settings. If multiple users were posting on one thread this caused the timestamps to be out of sync.

I've also switched quick reply back on now that this has been resolved.

Thanks and sorry about the mixed up threads.
  • Cortez
    Nice one. I notice the thread I linked to hasn't changed but I'm guessing it will be ok from now on.

Re quick reply, can you make it so that you don't have to click the little reply button to type in it? It's not particulary quick when you have to press a button first :001_tongue:
  • Simon Smith
    With regard to Quick Reply, the reason you need to click a button is so that the thread makes sense in other view modes, such as Threaded or Hybrid.

If you click the Display Modes link at the top right of a thread and change view you will see a tree of replies at the top. When someone chooses what post to reply to with Quick Reply you can see this displayed in the tree.

It makes analysing discussions much easier for people using these modes.
  • Cortez
    With regard to Quick Reply, the reason you need to click a button is so that the thread makes sense in other view modes, such as Threaded or Hybrid.

If you click the Display Modes link at the top right of a thread and change view you will see a tree of replies at the top. When someone chooses what post to reply to with Quick Reply you can see this displayed in the tree.

It makes analysing discussions much easier for people using these modes.

Oh I see. I've just been clicking the first reply button I get to so probably doesn't make a lot of sense to people viewing my posts!
Privacy Policy