Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 4 (Level 8 in Scotland)

Pcr

kylarakylara New MemberRegistered Posts: 6
Well how did you think the PCR exam went?
Easier than June 2007 or harder?
How long did it take you? 2 hrs for me. :001_tongue:
Did the question on material purchase say 'additional' material purchased? :confused1:
Did you think Part one or Part two of the paper was harder? :thumbdown:
How did you prepare yourself before sitting the exam? I slept bad, ate blueberries for their brainpower (Don't think they have started working yet), orange juice just to combat the cold (why are the facilities always cold) and now crave something loaded with calories. :thumbup:
Do you think you can survive the long wait for the results?
«134

Comments

  • CortezCortez Feels At Home Registered Posts: 76
    I thought it was harder than the PEV paper on Monday (which I thought was alright). Some of the questions in PCR just left me starring at them thinking "Does it mean this or does it mean that" so I've probably answered something that wasn't asked a few times :(

    We're not supposed to talk about specific questions until 3pm btw.
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Registered Posts: 217
    Cant talk specifics yet but I thought it was ok - however something you have said has made me think I have made a huge error!


    Will come back on at 3pm if anyone wants to discuss it
  • sam123sam123 New Member Registered Posts: 11
    Cortez wrote: »
    I thought it was harder than the PEV paper on Monday (which I thought was alright). Some of the questions in PCR just left me starring at them thinking "Does it mean this or does it mean that" so I've probably answered something that wasn't asked a few times :(

    We're not supposed to talk about specific questions until 3pm btw.

    You think exactly the same as me by the sound of things, i found the 1 st one harder and didn't know if i was answering the right question half the time!
  • mowzermowzer Feels At Home Registered Posts: 67
    I felt the same as if might not be answering the right question.

    Not sure if it was just me but got a bit confused by wording in a couple of places.

    Like pev, this felt different from past papers but maybe thats just because it was for real this time. Either way i don't feel too confident about the results
  • sam123sam123 New Member Registered Posts: 11
    I'm fairly confident about the 1st one but only 50/50 for the second exam, but i've done terribly in AAT exams before and been sure i've failed and then ended up passing! So you never know.

    Nearly 3pm
  • sam123sam123 New Member Registered Posts: 11
    What did everyone write for the 3 changes to help reach the required level of production?

    I writ: keep more stock of raw materials, buy in finsihed goods and only produce 250ml cartons and not the 500ml

    Any one put anything similar?
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Registered Posts: 217
    kylara wrote: »
    Well how did you think the PCR exam went?
    Easier than June 2007 or harder?
    How long did it take you? 2 hrs for me. :001_tongue:
    Did the question on material purchase say 'additional' material purchased? :confused1:
    Did you think Part one or Part two of the paper was harder? :thumbdown:
    How did you prepare yourself before sitting the exam? I slept bad, ate blueberries for their brainpower (Don't think they have started working yet), orange juice just to combat the cold (why are the facilities always cold) and now crave something loaded with calories. :thumbup:
    Do you think you can survive the long wait for the results?


    I thought it was easier than June 2007. I found the second section pretty straight forward with the calculations but got a bit confused on the memo and think I babbled on about irrelevant things.
    Section one I thought was not too bad but now I am worrying about the material purchase - I thought it said that it was the maximum available as he had already put his order in, but do you mean you thought it said it was the maximum additional he could get?
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Registered Posts: 217
    I have messed that up then! I read it as how to produce more in that period - so keeping extra stock wouldnt help so I said the opposite - to reduce the finished goods stock. I also said to take on extra staff
  • CortezCortez Feels At Home Registered Posts: 76
    sam123 wrote: »
    What did everyone write for the 3 changes to help reach the required level of production?

    I writ: keep more stock of raw materials, buy in finsihed goods and only produce 250ml cartons and not the 500ml

    Any one put anything similar?

    I put high temporary staff, increase the overtime limit (both of these answers came from a similar question in a practice paper I did yesterday) as there was a labour hour shortage and try and find another supplier who could meet the requirement the company needed.

    The last one could be completely wrong depending on whether I understood the information given correctly. It said he had already placed orders and couldn't acquire more than 1,500 for Jan production .... did that mean he had placed an order for the material purchases budget calculated and could order a further 1,500 m2 (more than enough for the 8% increase) or did that mean that only 1,500 m2 could be ordered for the whole month (mean you couldn't meet the original production budget .. on the figure I calculated anyway). :001_unsure:
  • Oliver1987Oliver1987 New Member Registered Posts: 6
    Cortez wrote: »
    I put high temporary staff, increase the overtime limit (both of these answers came from a similar question in a practice paper I did yesterday) as there was a labour hour shortage and try and find another supplier who could meet the requirement the company needed.

    The last one could be completely wrong depending on whether I understood the information given correctly. It said he had already placed orders and couldn't acquire more than 1,500 for Jan production .... did that mean he had placed an order for the material purchases budget calculated and could order a further 1,500 m2 (more than enough for the 8% increase) or did that mean that only 1,500 m2 could be ordered for the whole month (mean you couldn't meet the original production budget .. on the figure I calculated anyway). :001_unsure:

    I am not sure how i've done now. I understood it as he had ordered 1,500 and couldn't get anymore as well. I'm more confused now than when i did it this morning.
  • mowzermowzer Feels At Home Registered Posts: 67
    I was convinced that it said the total amount he could buy, but thinking about past papers theres usually only one limiting factor, so maybe it was just labour hours, argh!

    Did anyone out there answer it as if the 1500 was additional?
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Registered Posts: 217
    mowzer wrote: »
    I was convinced that it said the total amount he could buy, but thinking about past papers theres usually only one limiting factor, so maybe it was just labour hours, argh!

    Did anyone out there answer it as if the 1500 was additional?


    You are probably right actually - if there was only one limiting factor then surely we wouldnt be asked for 3 ways to resolve it would we? I dont remember that from any previous papers
  • mowzermowzer Feels At Home Registered Posts: 67
    Section 2

    on section 2 can anyone remember figures? think my overall variance was in the vague region of 2000 adverse, but might have been bigger, can't really remember...

    Was it right to include contribution as part of the operating statement?
  • CortezCortez Feels At Home Registered Posts: 76
    I answered it as 1,500 total. To everyone else that answered it that way did you find that the original production amount couldn't be met?
  • acky2106acky2106 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 52
    I had it as two limiting factors too. Mat's & Labour.

    Did anyone find the second half confusing the way it was written?
  • sam123sam123 New Member Registered Posts: 11
    Emma1708 wrote: »
    I have messed that up then! I read it as how to produce more in that period - so keeping extra stock wouldnt help so I said the opposite - to reduce the finished goods stock. I also said to take on extra staff

    I meant keep extra raw materials stock so when there's a short fall you've got some in supply, not that you should keep more finished goods. So don't panic, expect you did fine!
  • mowzermowzer Feels At Home Registered Posts: 67
    Yeah i was just trying to think what the three things could be if there was only labour, but can only think of two
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Registered Posts: 217
    mowzer wrote: »
    on section 2 can anyone remember figures? think my overall variance was in the vague region of 2000 adverse, but might have been bigger, can't really remember...

    Was it right to include contribution as part of the operating statement?

    I had £1945 adverse I think.
  • CortezCortez Feels At Home Registered Posts: 76
    mowzer wrote: »
    on section 2 can anyone remember figures? think my overall variance was in the vague region of 2000 adverse, but might have been bigger, can't really remember...

    Was it right to include contribution as part of the operating statement?

    I had 1,960,000 adverse (I'm assuming your 2000 figure is with the 000 knocked off or one of us is well off!!).

    Edit: I put contribution on my statement because it asked for it. I had something like

    Turnover

    Variable costs
    Materials A, B, C
    Labour
    Electricity

    Contribution

    Fixed costs
    Rent
    etc

    Profit

    Another question I wasn't sure of because normally you just have to produce an operating statement in the same format that the budget and actual are given.
    Paul Bowen wrote: »
    @mowzer and cortez: (and ayone else to whom this applies) I'm interested in your comments re wording. Once the papers are online next week please have a look and C&P specific examples into an exam feedback email? The email address is at the end of the exam feedback questionnaires.

    Will do.
  • Oliver1987Oliver1987 New Member Registered Posts: 6
    Cortez wrote: »
    I answered it as 1,500 total. To everyone else that answered it that way did you find that the original production amount couldn't be met?

    I did it this way and also came to the same result.
  • nikyxnikyx New Member Registered Posts: 6
    Emma1708 wrote: »
    I had £1945 adverse I think.

    I had that aswell, I was a bit worried because it said comment on all the variences over £50,000 and most of mine were over that!
  • nikyxnikyx New Member Registered Posts: 6
    Cortez wrote: »
    I had 1,960,000 adverse (I'm assuming your 2000 figure is with the 000 knocked off or one of us is well off!!).

    Edit: I put contribution on my statement because it asked for it. I had something like

    Turnover

    Variable costs
    Materials A, B, C
    Labour
    Electricity

    Contribution

    Fixed costs
    Rent
    etc

    Profit

    Another question I wasn't sure of because normally you just have to produce an operating statement in the same format that the budget and actual are given.



    Will do.


    I forgot about the contribution bit and did it the same as a normal layout, but thinking about it now, the way you have done is correct, so ive def messed that bit up!
  • CortezCortez Feels At Home Registered Posts: 76
    Actually scrap that ... I had 1,960 up until the Contribution bit. Then I thought I better add the fixed costs at the bottom and I'm pretty sure I had £1,945 adverse for profit as well.

    For the actual Energy variable cost what did everyone get? Did you just do 60,000 * £18? Which gave you the same as budget but then you had a 30k variance on the fixed part?
  • mowzermowzer Feels At Home Registered Posts: 67
    nikyx wrote: »
    I had that aswell, I was a bit worried because it said comment on all the variences over £50,000 and most of mine were over that!

    Most of mine were too. I panicked at first but when i wrote report i sort of bundled all the material into one because it was really the same thing and ended up with probably an average length report for this type of question
  • Emma1708Emma1708 Well-Known Registered Posts: 217
    oh no - I have messed that up too. I did it the same as the original layout - do you think I will fail for that? I was really pleased with how PCR went today, especially following the disaster I had with PEV
  • mowzermowzer Feels At Home Registered Posts: 67
    Cortez wrote: »
    Actually scrap that ... I had 1,960 up until the Contribution bit. Then I thought I better add the fixed costs at the bottom and I'm pretty sure I had £1,945 adverse for profit as well.

    For the actual Energy variable what did everyone get? Did you just do 60,000 * £18? Which gave you the same as budget but then you had a 30k variance on the fixed part?

    Sounds right, did you work the actual varaible cost of energy?
    I did it using the budgeted fixed cost (440,000(?)) and raking that away from the actual total

    I thought this was wrong because the other fixed costs had changed but didn't know what else to do!
  • sam123sam123 New Member Registered Posts: 11
    Oliver1987 wrote: »
    I did it this way and also came to the same result.

    Same here
  • simon1983simon1983 Just Joined Registered Posts: 4
    I thought the paper was okay on the whole, but now realised I made a massive mistake :crying: I thought there were two limiting factors in the first section, which baffled me at the time, but I have just realised that there was of course opening stock of materials available on top of the 1,500 square metres he could purchase :(

    I guess I have failed then.
  • CortezCortez Feels At Home Registered Posts: 76
    mowzer wrote: »
    Sounds right, did you work the actual varaible cost of energy?
    I did it using the budgeted fixed cost (440,000(?)) and raking that away from the actual total

    I thought this was wrong because the other fixed costs had changed but didn't know what else to do!

    No I didn't do that. I left the VC at the rate at which it had been budgeted (£18 per unit).

    So for variable costs I had

    Budget 1,080,000
    Actual 1,080,000

    Fixed costs

    Budget 440,000
    Actual 470,000

    It was either keep the fixed cost the same and have the variance on the variable cost or keep the variable cost the same and have the variance on the fixed cost. No idea which one it should be and the question didn't give any hints from what I remember so just 50/50 for which method I did :001_unsure:
  • mowzermowzer Feels At Home Registered Posts: 67
    Cortez wrote: »
    No I didn't do that. I left the VC at the rate at which it had been budgeted (£18 per unit).

    So for variable costs I had

    Budget 1,080,000
    Actual 1,080,000

    Fixed costs

    Budget 440,000
    Actual 470,000

    It was either keep the fixed cost the same and have the variance on the variable cost or keep the variable cost the same and have the variance on the fixed cost. No idea which one it should be and the question didn't give any hints from what I remember so just 50/50 for which method I did :001_unsure:

    Hmm, the question was just ambiguous as far as could tell

    think i'll mention it to aat by email, unless when i read it again its perfectly clear, n I'm just wrong, lol....

    :confused1:
Sign In or Register to comment.