How many people work for themselves?

sarahwilson
sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Just curious really, how many of you work for yourselves either full time or part time and what do you do, full accounts, book keeping, payroll, etc?

Comments

• Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I kind of work part time for myself, full time in the day job though. I just do a few self assessment tax forms for a few friends. It is getting a little out of hand though as each year someone else asks me to help complete them. I also set up accounts on the pc for sole traders. This is drying up as everyone is so much more pc literate now, although a few of my mates in practice tell me they still do the plastic bag full of receipts type of accounting.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I work in practice and still do the plastic bag of receipts or the dreaded simplex d books!
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I thought it might be more people than that to be honest.I was curious because whilst i enjoy my course and I want to learn more things, at this stage I have no idea where I want to go with it. Apart from I don't want to do anything as scary sounding as work for the big four, whoever they might be.
  • kendall17
    kendall17 Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor โญ
    I work in practice and still do the plastic bag of receipts or the dreaded simplex d books!

glad im not the only 1 who finds them horrendous to work with
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    glad im not the only 1 who finds them horrendous to work with

They actually don't bother me too much but I know Dean Shepherd hates them. I would rather have some well done accurate simplex d than a badly developed excel spreadsheet with incorrect formulae in them!
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I work for myself :thumbup:

I hate Simplex books and badly done XL sheets :thumbdown:

Plastic bags - actually not that fussed either way - the clients know that they pay for it, and I can sort them out in front of the telly in the evening. Normally only subbies that are like that, and there are not that many transactions each year - actually its explaining that the fags, beer and milk are not allowable for tax that gets me!!

Claudia
  • Cullen
    Eh? Milk I can understand but surely not fags and beer?
    How does HMRC stand on vet bills and tins of Butchers tripe for the guard dogs?
    Do I have to justify why we chose a particular breed or is it accepted that Cairns are fearsome?
  • claudialowe
    Cairns are the best dog ever :thumbup:

I don't need a doorbell as he barks whenever anyone comes anywhere near us, and is particularly possessive about the field opposite!!

My cairn has however recently developed an obsession with my teenage daughter's underwear, and takes it outside and leaves it strewn around the garden :lol:

Claudia

PS - no I am not brave enough to claim his vet and food bills!
  • Cullen
    We used to have a dog who stole items of clothing, but she took them into her basket. She only did it when she was alone. Kind of sweet really.
  • claudialowe
    Charitably I say that he does it to encourage her to pick up clothes off her bedroom floor - realistically I think he is just a pervy puppy!!!

Claudia
Privacy Policy