No Work

kendall17
kendall17 Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor ⭐
Started foundation course in september and since then this has been a typical week for me:

My Week So Far

Monday: came to work and did 7hours chargable time (work for clients)
Tuesday: went to college and had a good day
Wednesday: 7.5 hours(all day) sat doing office work and creating labels for christmas cards
Thursday: 4hours chargable time and 3hours office
Today: looks like 7.5hours doing office work again

spending all day doing office work isn't my cup of tea and really it doesn't help me with training. this is happening far too often lately and this time of year is meant to be busy although last week i got 31.5hours of chargable time in out of 37.5.

anything i can do about it, what amount of work do you get in bigger firms?

Comments

• Laura
    Laura Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Glad it isn't just me

I work in Devon for a firm of accountants at Intermediate AAT level, and i have had days on end on absolutely no chargeable time at all. This is really boring. Everyone at work has been saying how unusual it is for there to be such a shortage of work, especially at this time of year. We have had to draft in work from other branches to tide us over! At the other end of the scale, those that can do tax returns and the managers/partners are getting really stressed. I don't remember it being like this last year! You are quite right, it isn't helpful at all with training, but it is really boring and i think, demotivating. At least we will all get some time off over xmas in a weeks time!

I hope it improved for you! Just thought i would let you know that you aren't alone!
  • kendall17
    Laura wrote: »
    . At least we will all get some time off over xmas in a weeks time!

I hope it improved for you! Just thought i would let you know that you aren't alone!

glad i aren't alone.
    Got told off for counting my days down till christmas as all the seniors are stressed and could be coming in to finish the tax returns off, god help us if they move the deadline to 31st december!

I cant see me having any work in today either, woo 8.5hours revision for my simulation tommorrow, CANT WAIT :laugh:
  • sebastianforbes
    sebastianforbes Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    sorry... but please can you explain "chargeable time" for me ?!?!
  • kendall17

chargable time = work that i can charge to our client, time that i spend doing work for them that can be put on their fee not
  • purplegirl
    purplegirl Registered Posts: 47 Regular contributor ⭐

You probably work in an office like me. Kendall works in Practice.
  • sebastianforbes
    so, when you're gathering work experience to become a full member of the aat...

how do they differentiate between 'chargeable time' and 'other office duties' such as labels for christmas cards and general admin etc.?
  • StuPed
    StuPed Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Laura wrote: »
    I work in Devon for a firm of accountants at Intermediate AAT level

Lol, same here. Must be something with Devon as me too am struggling to get much chargable time out at the moment, my firm are shifting me to another branch of theirs (a good travel away too) to try and get some work for me but isnt it frustrating?! :mad2: North Devon for me means going out once a month for a course to do the AAT qualification, meaning a lot more time in the office which....i would love to do work in!

Funny how they say its the busiest time of the year yet a lot of staff here are playing a waiting game. Still, will probably all come at the last moments of the month! :001_rolleyes:
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I think it is the main staple. I am Technician (almost once i get over nerves and pass blasted exams!) and one woman here is really good, she lets me help with management accounts which is great. But I have been known to spend several hours putting invoices and letters in envelopes. I dont think much of my time gets charged out at all.

How can employers expect us to stay interested when they aren't giving us some experience for what we are training or finished training for.

I am leaving practice now for this reason and I am going into the public sector now so that I dont have to worry about chargeable time, and the people I met seem to have a bit more time to give me more experience.
  • sebastianforbes
    if i can be a little callous...

the public sector is all about 'value for money'.

i.e. if you can pay a lower wage to an under-qualified person and get the same job done ?!?!?!? then they will give you all the time and help you need.

the private sector is all about 'profit'.

and that is achieved through efficiency and accuracy.
  • jorja1986
    if i can be a little callous...

the public sector is all about 'value for money'.

i.e. if you can pay a lower wage to an under-qualified person and get the same job done ?!?!?!? then they will give you all the time and help you need.

the private sector is all about 'profit'.

and that is achieved through efficiency and accuracy.

Kendall17 I would have a word with your Manager, see if there is a possibility of you getting involved with some of the basic "housekeeping tasks" of doing accounts. They may appreciate your inituative. As long as you are calm and polite and dont go in demanding, you may find that they have been waiting for you to speak to them?

:confused1:sebastianforbes I would assume that you need to be accurate and efficient in any job?! :confused1:
  • sebastianforbes
    thank you jorja1986 for your comment.

if you had worked in public, as well as private practice... then you would have observed the differences in efficiency.

granted, some people will always work hard regardless of the rewards... but watch and observe the differing attitudes when neither your job , nor your bonus are dependant upon your output !!!

also, when was the last time that someone in public practice got a bonus that was worth the paper it was printed on ?!!
  • StuPed
    StuPed Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    I have to agree working in the private sector does for me feel much less personal in these times especially when im learning. Im all but sure a bit more trainging in place from the employer wouldnt hurt. They do a lot actually to be honest but i think the pressures are much different in the two and doing timesheets each day is a task that I find will end up coming against me at some point and not in favour for me. Understanably it has to be done for charging clients but I already (having only been at my practise for 5 Months) have had thoughts of what it would be like to continue in the public sector. Seemed to enjoy it much better there...might be a thing that will come in time but if there is little improvement then it may be a more easier decision to make.

I wouldnt believe at least in the lower ends of accounting there is much pay difference and all accounts should be prepared with accuracy no matter what situation you are in.

Question in relation to this topic is....will I get more work?
  • kendall17
    hey guys..... busiest time of year on busiest day for those in practice and im sat around doing nothing. really am tempted to go to my old summer job, the works better and easier and much more rewarding compared to this, although i wont be doing aat work there its exactly the same.
  • jorja1986
    StuPed wrote: »
    They do a lot actually to be honest but i think the pressures are much different in the two and doing timesheets each day is a task that I find will end up coming against me at some point and not in favour for me. Understanably it has to be done for charging clients but I already (having only been at my practise for 5 Months) have had thoughts of what it would be like to continue in the public sector. Seemed to enjoy it much better there...might be a thing that will come in time but if there is little improvement then it may be a more easier decision to make.

QUOTE]

That is the thing different people work better in different situations.

Public and private are no easier or harder, they just have different working schedules.

Kendall17, it does not sound to me that you are very happy in your current situation. They say it is easier to look for work if you are already employed ;)

Before that though speak to your manager. It maybe they are misguided on your skills or your willingness to learn.

Approach them. If you still get no joy then go to your summer job seen as you enjoyed it so.
  • kendall17
    those above me have found me some bookkeeping work to do once a week, and once a month. otherwise i have to wait for our clients books coming in in dribs and drabs throughout the year which is rather annoying. i'd love to go back to my summer job, even if it is answering phones or inputting data its still better than having nothing to do.had a look at jobs in 'Jobs Today' supplement with local paper and there weren't many admin/accounting jobs going so i dont really know what to do.. advice please? do i stay or do i go?
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Although so very sad I have to agree with sebastianforbes.

Even though when I worked in public sector it was not in accountancy I have found since making the move that there is a big difference in attitude towards work.

In the public sector there are no incentives except the pay packet which you are effectively given and don't really have to earn. Many but, thankfully not all, in the public sector (from my experience) do not work efficiently as there is nothing in it for them. At first often there is satisfaction of completing a task but for many this wares off and is where the lack of productiveness comes in.

Im now half way through technician level and have only worked in practice sice june 07 but my employers have been great. I would say 90% of my time has been chargeable apart from the last week or so where it has been very quiet for all partners in the firm.

Kendall, I wouldn't go without discussing your concerns with your employer. Jobs are hard to come by in practice and you wouldn't want to throw it away. Have a chat with them and explain that the lack of work is hindering your development as you need to be able to put the theory into practice. If they cannot help with the situation or at least try then maybe it would be worth considering leaving. Don't rush it though as you could end up with no work in a place that has an awful atmosphere. Good luck, I'm sure they will see where you are coming from and try to help, even if they do tell you the best is to go. Good luck.

Hope the chargeable time picks up for you guys as it really is the best way of learning as you get to find out how much you really know, or not?

Ian
    Regards,

Burg
Privacy Policy