Amending a Self Assessment Return

claudialowe
claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
This is probably one for the Dean's or Steve.....

Client has been issued with a closure notice into 05-06 return with a very small amount of tax to pay - result!

The Inspector has "invited" me to amend his 06-07 return which was submitted by FBI earlier in the year.

How do I physically go about doing this? Do I need to phone and ask for a paper copy of a return - and how do I stop this confusing HMRC by their being 2 different returns for the same period?

I have tried HMRC website, but just seem to get directed to really unhelpful pages!!!!

Claudia

Comments

• peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor 🐘
    I would just write to the local office advising them of the correction as you have 12 months from the filing date to correct the SA return (also notify them that there are two returns for the same period). Once HMRC have actioned the letter then they should send you a notice of correction which shows the boxes which have been amended and the resulting liability/refund in respect of the tax.

Best wishes
    Steve
  • claudialowe
    Steve - you are a star - thank you.

So what I need to do is reprint the return and send it off to the local office (I think you can still send substitute returns til April - can't you?) with an accompanying letter???????

Client thrilled with result, so I rather want to get everything finished and bill submitted before he forgets how wonderful he thinks I am :001_tongue:

Claudia
  • peugeot
    I wouldn't bother sending in the revised return - just write to them telling them which box numbers are to be changed and they will amend their system. Also ask them in the letter for a revised agent statement to be sent to you.

Best wishes
    Steve

p.s. I'm finishing now for xmas and the new year - just to make you all jealous!!!!!!:001_tt2:

See you all in 2008!!!
  • claudialowe
    OK then - result :001_tt2:

Have a good Christmas Steve, and many thanks, as always for your really helpful advice.

Claudia
  • peugeot
    No worries.

Hope you all have a good xmas & new year.

January's not far now (runs for the door!!)
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    peugeot wrote: Β»
    I wouldn't bother sending in the revised return - just write to them telling them which box numbers are to be changed and they will amend their system. Also ask them in the letter for a revised agent statement to be sent to you.

Best wishes
    Steve

p.s. I'm finishing now for xmas and the new year - just to make you all jealous!!!!!!:001_tt2:

See you all in 2008!!!

Yeah that's what I would have advised. This happened to me last year and it was just a simple letter amending box numbers and everything was done... no doubt they updated their enquiry window too!

Have a good christmas Steve (and everyone else here!!!)

Regards

Dean

p.s now where is that bottle, i'm hitting it! :001_wub:
Privacy Policy